mp3 in Mandriva?

jesthenewbie

I am quite new to Linux, I have Windws XP Pro on one HDD in my PC and have installed Mandriva Free 2006 to the other HDD and want to get it to do the things that I have Windows doing.

I want to play mp3 files in Mandriva. I have put Ragdoll.mp3 in /home/ and think that I have XMMS installed. When I try to play the file, I get an error message:

Please check that: Your soundcard is configured properly, You have the correct output plugin selected, No other program is blocking the soundcard

Is there a way to access my mp3 folder in that is in Windows from Mandriva?

Edited by jesthenewbie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had trouble with XMMS too although I used it on Xandros.

I have no trouble using Amarok which also plays MP3 files.

Amarok is in your Mandriva by default unless you took it out.

"star"

-> multimedia

-> sound

-> amarok

On amarok, click files, wiggle to the correct directory (left side), drag-n-drop

to the right side, playlist-> select all, right-click top song and play. More at

http://amarok.kde.org/

Sheng-Chieh

I have Amarok in my sytem tray. I can open it just like I would a Windows program, I click "files" snd browse to /jesse/home/ and drag and drop Ragdoll.mp3 to the right pane (the playlist) but the icon doesn't appear in the right pane. I moved this .mp3 from my other hard drive containing Windows. When I try to play it (even though I see nothing in the play list) I get a message saying "Some media could not be loaded(not playable)." Could that file be formated for Windows?

Does Mandriva have any sound files installed by default? I would like to make sure that I can play sound files.

I guess from your post that you have not looked at other recent posts regarding "no sound".

Please have a look at these and you will most likely have your solution.

There I have detailed suggestions to try. My suggestions and other members recommendations solved the problem. Sorry, but it is easier for you to look at this previous thread than for me to rewrite or repaste that info here again (for about the 5th or 6th time).

If those ideas don't solve the problem then let us know and we will try to suggest other ideas.

Cheers. John.

I have found some of your postings were you outline the steps for this but they donot seem to pertain to me. The ones that I have found are for Mandriva 2007 and currenly I am running Mandriva 2006, the steps aren't the same. I can go to the Mandriva Linux Control Center but I can find no mention of sound control or multimedia...

Edited by jesthenewbie

The steps I suggested are the same for 2006 as I mentioned for 2007 (I know because I used 2006 for over a Year).

The steps are NOT in Mandriva Control Centre, they are in KDE Control Centre. A big, big difference.

Have a look there and you will see what I mean. By the way, good marks for looking up those earlier posts.

Cheers. John.

Thanks.

Open KDE Control Centre and go to .......Sound and multimedia.....then.....Sound System. Then go to General.

Make certain hat there is a tick in the .....Enable the Sound System.....And especially a tick in.....Enable networked sound

Then select the ....Hardware tab .....and ensure there is a tick in....Full Duplex.

I hope this helps. Cheers. John.

I can go Star button - System - Configuration - KDE - Sound but I see no mention of KDE Control Center. Anyway, I followed that path and went into "Sound System" were I was able to "Enable the Sound System" and then "Enable networked sound"

There was a loading bar indicating that the sound system was starting. I opened Amorak again to try that mp3 and was presented with and error message that quickly disapeared. I think that it said something about the void engine not running the mp3 file.

Star button - System - Configuratiion - Configure your Computer - Hardware - look at and configure your hardware. There are no error mesasged beside the icon for the sound card as there would be in the device manager in Windows. How can I check that the proper output plugin is selected?

Edited by jesthenewbie

I can go Star button - System - Configuration - KDE - Sound but I see no mention of KDE Control Center. Anyway, I followed that path and went into "Sound System" were I was able to "Enable the Sound System" and then "Enable networked sound".

What you entered IS the Kde control centre.

Regarding.......Star button - System - Configuratiion - Configure your Computer - Hardware - look at and configure your hardware. There are no error mesasged beside the icon for the sound card as there would be in the device manager in Windows. How can I check that the proper output plugin is selected?

What is your Audio card???.

Please let me know so I can try to work out what driver you should be selecting.

Cheers. John.

ICH2 810 Chipset AC'97 Audio Controler

driver: i810_audio

alternative drivers: snd-intel8x0

There doesn't seem to be anything that I can change there. When I click on "Configure Module" there are no parameters to change.

OK, scratch that... there is a button called "Run Config Tool". When I click that there are many drivers to change to.

I also followed part of your instructions that I had forgotten about before (hardware tab and check on full duplex). There was another loading bar indicating that the sound system was restarting but amoroK will still not play my .mp3 files.

I don't know if this affects anything but there is a icon for Kmix in my system tray that seem to be disabled. "Mixer cannot be found".

Also, I can open amorak and all of my .mp3 files are in the browser to the left, there are instructions to drag any of them to the right window to build a playlist but when I do the icon doesn't move from the left pane. Maybe part of the problem that I am having with playing sound is to do with amoraK.

Edited by jesthenewbie

It seems you are using the on board (mainboard) audio system.

Have you gone into the BIOS and made sure that the onboard audio is enabled ?

It is not necessarily activated or enabled by default.

The driver you show would appear to be correct.

Cheers. John.

Amorak has nothing to do with your problem, because it doesn't exist.

Amarok does exist, but it's utterly unlikely to play any sound with no hard or soft mixer present.

Shut down kmix and all sound apps, and then open a root console, and type in

alsaconf

Follow all the steps to the end, and then logout and then log back in (or reboot). Working now?