wireless stopped working again [solved]

mystified

Ok I rebooted my router, deleted my wireless network connection and set it up without any encryption (Yes I changed it in my router :P ). The problem is that when it scans for networks it's not finding mine.

Edit: I did some googling and according to a mandriva wiki this driver is considered unstable. :(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's unfortunate.

do you have your network set to broadcast the SSID? This should be a setting somewhere in the router. If it isn't broadcasting the SSID your system won't pick it up when it scans.

I'm not sure what you mean tyme. How do I accomplish that?
It's somewhere in the router configuration - the wireless section, where exactly depends on your router. It should just be a check box, by default it usually broadcasts.

I tried to reconfigure it using ndiswrapper and the windows drive but when I check hardware it shows it's still using the native driver.

Sorry the native module is not working out for you. Using your favorite editor open /etc/modprobe.conf and add the line:

blacklist bcm43xx

this will prevent the bcm43xx module from loading.

Sorry the native module is not working out for you. Using your favorite editor open /etc/modprobe.conf and add the line:
blacklist bcm43xx

this will prevent the bcm43xx module from loading.

This didn't work. It's still using bcm43xx. Also I copies the windows driver and I put the .sys and .inf. I checked ndiswrapper and it shows that my driver.inf is installed and hardware found but .sys is an invalid driver. So it gives me a message at the end showing invalid driver. There is no other .sys for this card in windows.

Sorry for being a pain. :P

This didn't work. It's still using bcm43xx. Also I copies the windows driver and I put the .sys and .inf. I checked ndiswrapper and it shows that my driver.inf is installed and hardware found but .sys is an invalid driver.

Well, it should have worked. :P

Anyway, make sure you have removed or commented out any bcm43xx in /etc/modprobe.preload and any 'alias wlan0 bcm43xx' in /etc/modprobe.conf

Use the .inf file with ndiswrapper.

reboot and see what happens. :)

Well I did all that and still no luck. It scans for my network and can't find it. I don't know if this means anything or not but when I go to hardware and click on my wireless card it shows modules bcm43xx.

when I go to hardware and click on my wireless card it shows modules bcm43xx.

Check in the /etc/modprobe.preload.d directory and remove any bcm43xx... if it's there? Try again, and if that doesn't work:

I've never tried this (so I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong), but you could rename it, so the system can't find it?

cd /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx
mv bcm43xx.ko.gz no-bcm43xx.ko.gz

you may need to use depmod to update the 'system.map' for this to work properly... I'm not sure? Maybe someone else here knows?

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Just a thought but have you checked /etc/modprobe.conf for the line
 alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

this will tell wlan0 which driver to use.

If there isn't one then add it.

Yes I added it after I removed the one for the native driver. I'm going to try and find the time to reinstall this afternoon. I hope that goes well. I had problems with my last installation.

Just a thought but have you checked /etc/modprobe.conf for the line
 alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

this will tell wlan0 which driver to use.

If there isn't one then add it.

won't make a difference. It's the other way around. It tells ndiswrapper to call the wireless card wlan0, rather than the next available ethX. So it's more aesthetic and isnt required.

James

won't make a difference. It's the other way around. It tells ndiswrapper to call the wireless card wlan0, rather than the next available ethX. So it's more aesthetic and isnt required.

Maybe a poor choice of words, opening my mouth before putting my brain in gear. I also was looking at LE2005 release, one that I haven't upgraded yet. The alias is needed in that release as I have just tried without and I was unable to connect. I didn't dig any deeper because of time restraint. I must try and choose my words very carefully with you guys, sorry.