Need some help connecting my HP laptop wirelessly

Hey guys, Im a new Linux user and Im using the Mandriva version, I got it installed on there ok with some help from a friend of mine. It looks awesome!!! I love it but I cant connect wirelessly, Im using my desktop so I can get online :D Ive read a lot of threads on here about this topic but I am unsure of what to do.

I also would like to know how to update a program, such as Fire Fox, I downloaded the new version but I dont know how to install it or make it run. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced-----Dinty :D

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add that I have an HP Pavillion dv6000, with the Intel Dual Core CPU, if theres any other info you guys need please let me know, thanks---Dinty

You should already have what you need in the kernel.

First, configure your software sources with Easy-Urpmi found at the top of the page. Configure main, config, updates, plf-free, and plf-nonfree. Just follow the instructions on the page.

Next, in a console, su to root and type "urpmi dkms-ipw3945"

The system may install several packages.

Then you should be able to get your connection going in the Mandriva Control Center (Configure Your Computer)

Ok, that makes sense, I just dont know where to find Easy-urpmi, which page is on? Also would you be able to go into some more detail about: Configure main, config, updates, plf-free, and plf-nonfree, or when I get to that area I should be able to figure it out?

I got to the console, and to the root, but it gave me an error, Im guessing since I didnt do the first part of your post.

Thanks for your help with this, I cant wait to get everything figured out :D

Ok, so I used the Easy Urpmi, and I put the output into the terminal, line by line, it downloaded and updated files. I then tried to run "urpmi dkms-ipw3945"(without the quotes) and it told me: Some requested packages cannot be installed: dkms-ipw3945-1.0.12mdv2007.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied ipw3945d) Continue installation anyway? (Y/n). I hit Y and the next line that came up was the root. I tried to configure the wireless card and it says that: some packages (ipw3945d) are required but arent available. These packages can be found in Mandriva Club or in Mandriva Commercial Releases. Info: due to missing /usr/sbin/ipw3945d. The required files can also be installed from this URL: http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/.

I went there and thought I downloaded everything I needed and put it on my desktop. I tried to put :urpmi dkms-ipe3945d in the root but it told me the required files could not be found.

So, lemme know what I doing wrong with this, if possible. Im stuck lol :wall: Thanks for any help----Dinty :D :D

What sources did you configure in urpmi? You must have all 5: main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Installing dkms may install kernel sources and some other depends. But it looks lke you do not have your sources configured properly. Everything is available on-line for download. You do not need a membership anywhere to use Mandriva.

OK I see, I missed the bottom 2 updates I guess theyre called, Im installing them now. I didnt see them the first time around as they werent checked so I wasnt sure if I needed them :o lol, ill let ya know how it goes, thanks---Dinty

Edited by dinty01

I ran into this problem, this was at the end of the installation:

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.17-5mdv cannot be found at

/lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build or /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/source.

You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

Error! Could not locate ipw3945.ko.gz for module ipw3945 in the DKMS tree.

You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.17-5mdv (x86_64) first.

Im not sure what this means, this came at the end of the urpmi dkms-ipw3945 install, I have the rest of the text if you would like to see it, what do I need to do for this? Thanks for your help---Dinty

It should have installed the kernel source for you. The file it can't find is generated by the installation, but it needs the kernel sources to do it. So, "urpmi kernel-sources" and see what it says.

It said no package named kernal-sources, nothing else, just that, do I need to download the 2.6.20.4 version of the linux kernal? thanks for your help---Dinty

Edit: Also, I ran the config tool and it seemed to set the card up and it found my network, I think it was connected but I could not access the net and the light on the front of my laptop was flashing from orange(off) to blue(on) constantly. I rebooted after I completed the setup of the wireless as it suggested I do that, but it didnt work after re-boot.

Edited by dinty01

kernel-source :)

Thanks :oops: lol, ok so if I type it properly, it tells me: The package(s) are already installed, The following package names were assumed: kernel-tmb-source-stripped-2.6.17.14.5 (next line)mdv

So if the packages were already installed why did it give me errors? Thanks for the help guys---Dinty

Edited by dinty01