Wireless firmware needed [solved]

ComputerDexter

I actually had this question posted with the hard drive partitioning question but realized that two questions in one, kind of hides one of them from other users identifying needed topics. So I have started this as a new topic.

I had no problem connecting to the internet with via ethernet but my wireless connection says that I need firmware for the following device. It says:

Some packages (acx100-firmware) are required but aren't available.Info:

due to missing /lib/firmware/tiacx1*

The required files can also be installed from this URL:

http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware It even gave me a website to get it but

My wireless device is: Vendor: Texas Instruments, Description: WLAN Device TNETW1130(ACX111)

I have gone to Sourceforge.net and tried to download from their via the MCC and urpmi but to no avail.

I actually was able to download onto my desktop a folder (from somewhere) that supposedly contains drivers for all the various acx111 cards but I can't do anything with it, and maybe that is a good thing as I am not really sure if it is compatable with Mandriva 2007. :unsure:

Any suggestions here?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by ComputerDexter

my wireless connection says that I need firmware for the following device. It says:

Some packages (acx100-firmware) are required but aren't available.Info:

due to missing /lib/firmware/tiacx1*

The required files can also be installed from this URL:

http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware It even gave me a website to get it but

My wireless device is: Vendor: Texas Instruments, Description: WLAN Device TNETW1130(ACX111)

You need to d/l the firmware (without any .htm extensions) from:

http://195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

and as root, copy them all to /lib/firmware

then as root do:

modprobe acx

open your mcc and set up your wireless connection.

Pluto, I just tried what you suggested (to a degree) but it sounds way too complicated for my level of competance right now. Thanks though for the alternative.

Greg2

That is where I actually downloaded the file from-- to my desktop but there I am stuck :wall:

Is that correct so far?

I know how to login as root, but do not know how to copy those files to a folder from root.----I am new to the Konsole commands.

once I get them copied I think I will be ok :unsure:

That is where I actually downloaded the file from-- to my desktop but there I am stuck :wall:

OK, in a terminal as root you must cd to the directory

cd Desktop

where you have d/l the firmware files (all of them). Then do

cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware/

then do

modprobe acx

open your mcc and set up your wireless connection.

Try using ndiswrapper. You will need to have the windows driver, either on the machine or on the installation disk. You will be looking for the .inf file, but the .sys file also gets used. I generally find the files forst and copy them into my Linux installation.

In a console, su to root and type "urpmi ndiswrapper"

Then launch MCC. Choose Internet and Network=>Configure network adapter. Choose wireless, then choose ndiswrapper. It will ask for the .inf file location. After installing, you should be able to detect your wireless network.

No, don't use ndiswrapper.

This card has a fully developed NATIVE driver. All it needs is those firmware files placed in the firmware folder and it'll work fine.

James

I agree with you to a point but I've found that the acx module lacking in some aspects. For instance I have an USR5416 802.11g Wireless Turbo PCI Adapter

02:09.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface

& the acx module will not run 125 Mbps nor will it let me have a 256 wep key. Where as the win driver along with ndiswrapper does both & is also very stable... my 2 bits ;)

All I know is the time I spent researching it. I also found that the native driver is a bit spotty and that ndiswrapper has a success rate with this chip. Native is best, as long as it works. My laptop is using Broadcom, which is best with ndiswrapper. The native driver just isn't ready yet. But do whatever works. ;)

I've just booted up my old p2 test box:

greg@atlantis:~$ uname -a
Linux atlantis 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
greg@atlantis:~$ lspci |grep Network
00:0e.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface

and I'm posting this with the Native acx module using a 256-bit key.

FYI, I'm also using the Native module for my laptop that has a Broadcom 4318 using the same key. I'm not having any problems with either of these, in fact, they work perfectly.

Since the OP wanted to use the Native acx module... lets let him(or her) try it, and decide for themselves? :)

Thank you all for your attention to my problem and it sounds as though it is an easy fix.

However, I have just spent, literally, the entire time since your reading your responses, studying the userguides and online lenux guides trying to figure out how to download something from someplace and actually do anything with it when (and if) I even get it on my desktop (the default download point). I know I said I downloaded a package to my desktop but it was the wrong one and I cannot download the ones that were suggested by Greg2. When I cliick on the link provided it just opens a page full of garble.

Also, I have tried to find and load the ndiswrapper (which I think I somehow successfully downloaded on to my desktop) and needed files from Windows (which I cannot locate), and there I am.

I cannot figure it out!! :wall:

I feel like I must be pretty stupid (luckly I know different ;) ) because every bit of guidence I can find assumes that one would already know this. I knw how to use graphical interfaces...not the Konsole or DOS, yet B) .

Can someone please point me to a good resource or provide a relevant example, step by step, from A to Z how to download a driver or program from the web and stick it into the file where it belongs so I can install it. Even a good up-to-date Mandriva guide I can purchase from somewhere would be a start.

Thanks for your patience with me...I will not give up :D

Can someone please point me to a good resource or provide a relevant example, step by step, from A to Z how to download a driver or program from the web and stick it into the file where it belongs so I can install it.

OK, open your Konsole and do:

mkdir temp

then

cd temp

then

wget -r -np http://195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

then

cd 195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

then

su

enter your password, then

cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware/

then

modprobe acx

open your mcc and set up your wireless connection. :)

Edited by Greg2

Greg2, Your the greatest! Thanks!

But I still have not connected the wireless. The first attempt I crashed something and whenever iI tried to test the wireless connection it froze up. I ahve reinstalled the program (with manual partioioning so I have them the way I wanted) and I redid what you suggested. Everything works great until the "modprobe acx" when I get the following return. I will start from the end of the "cp ....." command:

FINISHED --15:16:01--

Downloaded: 269,297 bytes in 13 files

[eric@localhost temp]$ cd 195.66.192.167/linux/acx_patches/fw/acx111_1.2.1.34/

[eric@localhost acx111_1.2.1.34]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost acx111_1.2.1.34]# cp tiacx111 tiacx111c16 tiacx111c17 tiacx111r16 tiacx111r17 /lib/firmware/

[root@localhost acx111_1.2.1.34]# modprobe acx

FATAL: Module acx not found.

I then went to the wireless connection to check it and I do not get the errors that I used to get; in fact I get nothing, a couplle of windows appear very rapidly but are not present long enough to read. Other than that...nothing.

Can you tell me if there is something wrong with the end of the code in root, or is it in the configuration fo the wireless.

Almost there!!! :thumbs: