Surprise, Windows is the most secure OS

ramfree17

Uh... the stats were released by Symantec, not Microsoft. So why would they want to skew the statistics? In fact, if anything, Symantec would be more interested in making Windows seem less secure.

The problem is not the skewing of facts, but rather the approach. The vulnerabilities repaired in Windows were less than, for example, Red Hat - but that is vulnerabilities found by Microsoft. There might be thousands more that were just never detected. Of course, this could be true for Linux and OSX too ;)

But - the difference is the reaction time to detected vulnerabilities. Here again we deal with the nature of the beast. Holes in Windows tend to be way more serious than those of other operating systems. A threat that is serious will obviously be dealt with more quickly, whereas the typically minor vulnerabilities in Unix-based systems do not require urgent attention.

The article is waste of bits and means nothing.

symantec might or might not be skewing data, and i have no idea what they plan to gain with the publishing of results (a toehold in the MacOSX scene?).

i am also after the sensationalistic journalism and the skewing of data to attract attention. the title and the content just dont match unless we are talking about sheer numbers and not context.

i should have placed a wink smiley instead of a plain old smiley in the original post. :)

ciao!

I read the brief report but not the entire report.

It could be as they said Red hat was not as good. They may really be referring to the entire package not the Kernel, as microsoft and other do. If that is so then they could be correct.

If you add Open Office - Firefox and some other important business applications then put them against windows and the office suite then MS will lose hands down.

So its all relative.

If it is in an application the flaw it 99% of the time will not affect the Kernel, But on Windows 99% of the time it can kill the OS.

Look at the Sony "Bug" java script:emoticon(':o', 'smid_6') where they Rootkited all the windows machines that ran the music on their computers.

That is a MS fault for it being so easy to do. then so hard to remove..

i am also after the sensationalistic journalism and the skewing of data to attract attention. the title and the content just dont match unless we are talking about sheer numbers and not context.

Yup, I would say the journalist (or editor, more likely) is more to blame than Symatec here. They knew that a headline like that would lead to big hits.

The problem is not the skewing of facts, but rather the approach. The vulnerabilities repaired in Windows were less than, for example, Red Hat - but that is vulnerabilities found by Microsoft. There might be thousands more that were just never detected. Of course, this could be true for Linux and OSX too ;)

No because that is the difference between OS and closed source.

Linux is ....... just what it is.... OS-X benefits from being built on top of OS... whereas Windows noone can see the code except MS...

But these always make me laugh.... the question I ask is why did MS have all these vulnerabilities in the 1st place? On what benefits Symantec.... ?? well saying linux is more secure doesn't help if they sell 90% of theit stuff to Windows users?

Telling windows users it CAN be secure, just give us a subscription .... generates income.

It makes sense... Windows is the most secure OS obviously, because Symantec anti-malware runs on it...

but on Linux, Symantec anti-malware does not run on it, so it MUST be less secure :rolleyes:

Now where's my briefcase full of infringing code?

Edited by Darkelve

Symantec would be foolish to poke Microsoft too hard, since Microsoft is in the process of ridding the world of unneeded software, like what Symantec produces! :P

I also see things differently. For all the shear number of people working on their stuff, Microsoft had 12 serious problems; Red Hat had only 2. As far as the numbers of vulnerabilities, who can say? Microsoft code is a secret. We all must wait until the criminal tells us about the problem before Microsoft will admit to it! Last I checked, Linux stuff has people poking at it all the time; we are not waiting for a criminal to show us a hole in the system.

The article is the typical misguided journalistic attempt at "keeping me interested." You want to know about security? Just ask any system administrator how secure windows is! When I recently installed a windows server in a small business network (don't ask why), I also installed other security measures. Naturally, I found every work station infected with various Trojans and spyware. Don't get me wrong. It made me look great. The network sped right up with the reduction of unnecessary traffic. B) The work stations were all windows machines. Their server had been Linux, and the yahoos who sold it to them told them they didn't need to worry about viruses.

I guess the journalists aren't the only ones who misguide!

If it is in an application the flaw it 99% of the time will not affect the Kernel, But on Windows 99% of the time it can kill the OS.

Bingo.

Counting the number of "flaws" discovered is meaningless. Security flaws discovered in Linux tend to be fairly minor theoretical problems, while Windows malware makes headlines every time millions of computers around the globe are infected and massive amounts of productivity lost. It is not informative to count the number of the former type of flaw and compare it with the number of the latter type--but it makes sense to Symantec, since they sell Windows software and obviously want everybody to be using Windows.

I'd look at it this way. Symantec have to say Windows is more secure to stop people moving away to Linux. If people do that, then Symantec can't sell their products for Linux, because, well, they don't make any!!!

If they said Linux was more secure, they'd lose their business instead of gaining it.

• 2 weeks later...
Symantec would be foolish to poke Microsoft too hard, since Microsoft is in the process of ridding the world of unneeded software, like what Symantec produces!
:P I don't know why, but I'm sitting here thinking after it's all over with Vista, Microshaft will need Symantec more then ever. ;)