HD partitioning, resizing user partition [solved]

ComputerDexter

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the great info that is passed along in htis forum.

I am a week long user of the linex system and have Mandriva 2007 installed. I have a 110GB HD and when I downloaded the osftware it only gave me a 7.8 GB user partition which is rapidly approaching capacity.

I have used diskdrake, unsuccessfully,and have not been able to resize the partition. The home partition has nothing in it and is 100GBs.

When I clich on unmount while in MCC I get an error message "Error unmounting-No such file or directory".

Can I resize this partition? Is it safe to do so? B)

If I may ask a second question here, My next major objective in this Mandriva learning curve is to get my Wireless internet connection working. I have finally learned (I believe how to use urpme and MCC. However I ma not sure how to get the package I need to download for my wireless card. I get the following info when I check the wireless connection:

"Some packages (acx100-firmware) are required but aren't available.Info:

due to missing /lib/firmware/tiacx1*

The required files can also be installed from this URL:

http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware"

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank You,

If you have room, I recommend creating a larger partition and then when you name it the same as an existing partition, the system should ask you if you want to copy all the data into the new partition. Say "yes" and it will be done.

What is the brand of your wireless device?

lxthusdan and aioshin,

Thank you for your advice, you both were right, in my circumstance. I was not able to create a file: "/" and move everything over to a bigger partition, but I was able to compromise satisfactorily. :thumbs:

I created a 50GB partition and named it: /user, which, it seems, is the mount point for the files that download when I use the MCC. Now instead of seeing a "1 GB file space remaining" I now see "48 GB" !! And everything is working just as before...no crashes!

I also used it on my older computer that I loaded with Mandriva and have two 16GB drives on it. The main drive had a 5.7 GB "/" paartition with aa slightly larger /home" partition and I could not get the hdb drive to get anything. Thanks to your advice I took the hddb drive and created a /user partition and it now has 14 GB of space into which It can grow

Therefore, I feel you both have solved this issue for me.

As for the second issue about the wireless, that is not going so well :wall:

lxthusdan asked: "What is the brand of your wireless device?"

My wireless device is: Vendor: ?Texas Instruments, Description: ?WLAN Device TNETW1130(ACX111)

I actually was able to download onto my desktop a folder that supposedly contains drivers for all the various acx111 cards but I can't do anything with it, and maybe that is a good thing as I am not really sure if it is compatable with Mandriva 2007.

Any suggestions here?

Try using ndiswrapper. You will need to have the windows driver, either on the machine or on the installation disk. You will be looking for the .inf file, but the .sys file also gets used. I generally find the files forst and copy them into my Linux installation.

In a console, su to root and type "urpmi ndiswrapper"

Then launch MCC. Choose Internet and Network=>Configure network adapter. Choose wireless, then choose ndiswrapper. It will ask for the .inf file location. After installing, you should be able to detect your wireless network.