new NVIDIA drivers

Guest ndeb

What's your hardware setup johnny?

I have:

AMD Athlon 750 MHz (686 processor)

AMD Irongate 751 Controller

Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE AGP (64 MB DDR...not sure if it's actually running with DDR capabilities, because my computer is 2 yrs old)

Note that my card only operates at 1x AGP because anything higher is not stable because of buggy support for the Irongate. I'm using the NVIDIA agp driver (built-in) instead of agpgart, but even agpgart worked fine for me. Actually, I don't have too many hardcore graphics games that I play to know if I would have crashes or not...lol

[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card

Fast Writes:   Supported

SBA:    Not Supported

AGP Rates:   4x 2x 1x 

Registers:   0x1f000017:0x0f000101

[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge 

Host Bridge:   Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-751 [Irongate] System Controller

Fast Writes:   Not Supported

SBA:    Supported

AGP Rates:   2x 1x 

Registers:   0x0f000203:0x00000101

[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver:   NVIDIA

AGP Rate:   1x

Fast Writes:   Disabled

SBA:    Disabled

I read somewhere that some NVidia cards have issues using the agpgart compiled into the kernel or loaded as a module.

What for? It will do that automatically anyhow... There's not much point to do that... That's defeating the whole purpose of their new utility....
Under ideal conditions, yes. But conditions are nowhere near ideal, specifically with NVIDIA drivers (check out JaseP's post in this thread itself).

Also, the bigger problem is that since its not an RPM, how do you know which files this installer installs/replaces ? Earlier, rpm -ql gave us an idea. Now, its totally a blackbox. Its true that installation is easier, but only at the cost of open-ness. If something goes wrong now, we won't know which files to remove or which links to fix.

I know that many here are having trouble with Nvidia, but my box used the new setup without error. And my 3d games are runing very smooth. It is a mystery how one machine works and one with similar hardware does not work. I compiled from the sources and liked it, because there were occasions when the Nvidia rpm's did not work, but a compile from sources did.

My box:

Epox 8k9a

xp1800

256MBddr

gforce2gts/32MB

2 Maxtor harddrives

Soundblaster Live

datalink nic

Mandrake 9.1

Actually, my installation was smooth too. Only problem came few hours later when X crashed so badly that soft reboot was the only way but thats a driver bug, not an installer bug.

What's your hardware setup johnny?

I have:

AMD Athlon 750 MHz (686 processor)  

AMD Irongate 751 Controller

Asylum GeForce4 MX440-SE AGP (64 MB DDR...not sure if it's actually running with DDR capabilities, because my computer is 2 yrs old)

Note that my card only operates at 1x AGP because anything higher is not stable because of buggy support for the Irongate. I'm using the NVIDIA agp driver (built-in) instead of agpgart, but even agpgart worked fine for me. Actually, I don't have too many hardcore graphics games that I play to know if I would have crashes or not...lol

[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fast Writes:   Supported<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->SBA:    Not Supported<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->AGP Rates:   4x 2x 1x <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Registers:   0x1f000017:0x0f000101<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Host Bridge:   Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-751 [Irongate] System Controller<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fast Writes:   Not Supported<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->SBA:    Supported<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->AGP Rates:   2x 1x <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Registers:   0x0f000203:0x00000101<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->[root@localhost omar]# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Status:   Enabled<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Driver:   NVIDIA<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->AGP Rate:   1x<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fast Writes:   Disabled<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->SBA:    Disabled<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

I read somewhere that some NVidia cards have issues using the agpgart compiled into the kernel or loaded as a module.

Mine is

AMD 1800xp

Via KT333 motherboard

geforce 4 ti4200 128mb

i would have to check my status at home

Same effects with AGP rate 4X, fast writes on, SBA on as with AGP 2X and the others off.

What for? It will do that automatically anyhow... There's not much point to do that... That's defeating the whole purpose of their new utility....
Under ideal conditions, yes. But conditions are nowhere near ideal, specifically with NVIDIA drivers (check out JaseP's post in this thread itself).

Also, the bigger problem is that since its not an RPM, how do you know which files this installer installs/replaces ? Earlier, rpm -ql gave us an idea. Now, its totally a blackbox. Its true that installation is easier, but only at the cost of open-ness. If something goes wrong now, we won't know which files to remove or which links to fix.

So install it using Checkinstall then. I've never had problems caring about what files it installs, as I just use the tarballs and, as the readme says, it will remove existing versions of the driver automatically. In any case, if you MUST know what files it installs, and if you MUST use RPMs, then use Checkinstall. It works wonders.

So install it using Checkinstall then. I've never had problems caring about what files it installs, as I just use the tarballs and, as the readme says, it will remove existing versions of the driver automatically. In any case, if you MUST know what files it installs, and if you MUST use RPMs, then use Checkinstall. It works wonders.
What I want is some command which will tell me what files have been installed/modified by the nvidia installer. Remember that from the next release NO rpms or tarballs will be supplied (see ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...4349/README.txt ) so I cannot use either rpms or tarballs. I cannot use Checkinstall either since I can't directly compile from the source (the nvidia proprietary installer will do that for me). It has become a blackbox now.

What I want is some command which will tell me what files have been installed/modified by the nvidia installer. Remember that from the next release NO rpms or tarballs will be supplied (see ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...4349/README.txt ) so I cannot use either rpms or tarballs. I cannot use Checkinstall either since I can't directly compile from the source (the nvidia proprietary installer will do that for me). It has become a blackbox now.

So I don't see what is stopping you from using Checkinstall...

# checkinstall ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run

Works wonders.

Hell, I've used checkinstall on the RTCW installer, and that worked too.

There are no blackboxes in Linux, except for the WM of the same name.

Works wonders.

Thats when I install the drivers. But what if I want to know the information after installation. Is this a substitute for rpm -ql package.rpm ?

Works wonders.

Thats when I install the drivers. But what if I want to know the information after installation. Is this a substitute for rpm -ql package.rpm ?

umm... what?

that will make an rpm and install it, and then it's in your database of installed rpms. to list the files, look in the Mandrake Control Center, in RPM Drake, or whatever. the rpm should be put into /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ or something like that, assuming that you set it to i586 and whatever during the checkinstall config stuff.

if you insist on using the command line, you can first find out what the name of the package is if you don't know. I used to do this by doing rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia (that will list packages that have nvidia in the name, so I hope you named it nvidia-something when you used checkinstall). once you have the name of the package, say nvidia-driver-4349, then you proceed to list the files in that package with rpm -ql nvidia-driver-4349 or whatever.

it's hard to say exactly what to do since 1) I don't care what files are in the nvidia driver, and 2) I don't use Mandrake, nor any other rpm-based distro.

oh, and I might point out this section from the readme file:

Linux distributions are welcome to repackage and redistribute the NVIDIA Linux driver

so Mandrake really has no excuse to not provide these drivers anymore, if they ever did.

that will make an rpm and install it, and then it's in your database of installed rpms. to list the files, look in the Mandrake Control Center, in RPM Drake, or whatever. the rpm should be put into /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ or something like that, assuming that you set it to i586 and whatever during the checkinstall config stuff.
I am not sure I understand you. Does checkinstall automatically create an rpm ? Just to make it clear, I am asking if after installation I can use some query command which will tell me what files NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run installed/modified. Just to let u know, currently NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run does not install any rpms.

if you insist on using the command line, you can first find out what the name of the package is if you don't know. I used to do this by doing rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia (that will list packages that have nvidia in the name, so I hope you named it nvidia-something when you used checkinstall). once you have the name of the package, say nvidia-driver-4349, then you proceed to list the files in that package with rpm -ql nvidia-driver-4349 or whatever.  

it's hard to say exactly what to do since 1) I don't care what files are in the nvidia driver, and 2) I don't use Mandrake, nor any other rpm-based distro.

Thtat explains why you are not grasping the real issue that there is no NVIDIA rpm anymore. So
rpm -qa | grep -i NVIDIA

will give you nothing. The current installer simply installs the file directly, not thru RPMs.

so Mandrake really has no excuse to not provide these drivers anymore, if they ever did.
Its a licensing issue. It cannot become part of Mandrake's all-opensource download edition. About creating rpm, I guess the workaround will be to run the installer, then collect the installed files in an rpm.

Ok. I have figured it now. I used the checkinstall-1.5.3-1mdk in LM9.1 to create an rpm for the Nvidia drivers by running the command:

checkinstall -R ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run

After selecting the appropriate values, it created the rpm

/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349.i586.rpm

The installer NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run seems to modify all /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.* files:

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.dep

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.generic_string

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.ieee1394map

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.isapnpmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.parportmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.pcimap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.pnpbiosmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.usbmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.description

except the last one. This is due to running

depmod -a

(it should instead run depmod -A). In any case, this creates a problem. Since all of these above files are modified, the created rpm NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349.i586.rpm now includes them too !! So

rpm -qlp /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349.i586.rpm

shows all these files:

/etc/modules.conf

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.dep

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.generic_string

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.ieee1394map

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.isapnpmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.parportmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.pcimap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.pnpbiosmap

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.usbmap

Obviously, this rpm is dangerous to install since

rpm -ivh --test /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349.i586.rpm

gave these error messages:

file /var/lib/rpm/__db.001 from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.0.4-28mdk

file /var/lib/rpm/__db.002 from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.0.4-28mdk

file /etc/modules.conf from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package modutils-2.4.22-8mdk

file /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/modules.dep from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk

file /usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package XFree86-devel-4.3-5mdk

file /usr/X11R6/include/GL/glx.h from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package XFree86-devel-4.3-5mdk

file /usr/X11R6/include/GL/glxtokens.h from install of NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349 conflicts with file from package XFree86-devel-4.3-5mdk

/home/ndeb/xfree86/vi /usr/X11R6/include/GL/gl.h

Anybody knows how to get around to this ?

More on this issue. I fiddled with checkinstall and arrived at this command:

checkinstall -R --exclude=/etc,/proc,/var,/usr/bin,/lib/modules ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run --no-opengl-headers

which successfully created and installed

/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_driver-1.0-4349.i586.rpm

But this prevented X from starting since the rpm now excluded all files in /lib/modules/ including the most important /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o kernel module. I got X to restart by uninstalling the rpm and running NVIDIA installer again. So now the only problem is to get checkinstall to accept nvidia.o without accepting any other file in /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk .