resize partition

Guest linuxbox

Guest linuxbox

hello, i have mandriva 2007 successfully installed but i need to do some repartitioning.

what i'm doing is replacing an existing system and i WAS just installing mandriva 2007 to check it out and test but i'm satisfied with it now

and i'm TRYING to keep from having to reinstall : )

here is the partitioning on the previous system :

No. Type Extent Start End Use Free

1 Linux 1 3846 / 62 %

2 Extended 3847 9729

5 Linux 3847 8953 /home 85 %

6 Linux swap 8954 9054 swap

7 Linux 9055 9729 /stuff 94 %

now here is my current partitioning that mandriva created as default that i wish to redo:

No. Type Extent Start End Use Free

1 Linux 1 1019 / 65 %

2 Extended 1020 30401

5 Linux swap 1020 1528 swap

6 Linux 1529 30401 /home 99 %

basically i don't care about the /stuff partiion to be honest. all i actually want to do is make the / partition larger...just split it in half.

it's a 250 gig drive. and also what partition types should i be using? linux and linux extended??

thanks a bunch !!

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Given how full all your partitions are, the best thing to do IMO is to backup all your non-system data, and /etc, and then reinstall using LVM.

Else you'll have to play "Towers of Hanoi"-game with your partitions... Doable but quite involved.

Yves.

Guest linuxbox
Given how full all your partitions are, the best thing to do IMO is to backup all your non-system data, and /etc, and then reinstall using LVM.

Else you'll have to play "Towers of Hanoi"-game with your partitions... Doable but quite involved.

Yves.

i have 65% LEFT on / and 99% LEFT on the /home partition!! : )

even so, trying to move partitions around like that can be a real pain in the arse - especially if it's you're only OS.

you may have better luck if you grab a gparted LiveCD (or LiveUSB), boot to that, and use it to move all your partitions to where they need to be.

Yves.

i have 65% LEFT on / and 99% LEFT on the /home partition!! : )

Hi theYinYeti,

I am having the same problem, where all the downloads are squeezed into a small partition that tthe install created.

Could you elaboreate a little...what is "LVM"?

Thanks

ComputerDexter

Hello,

First I beg your pardon for misreading the initial post; I got a little lost with the displayed numbers.

LVM stands for Logical Volume Manager, and is quite well explained in this manual:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

In short, it allows you:

- to have variable-sized partitions,

- to transfer free storage space from one partition to another,

- to have partitions spanning multiple disks...

LVM is accessible in the Mandriva DiskDrake (partitionning tool) either at install time or in the MCC (control center), provided you enabled "expert" mode.

If you just want to move your data around, you'll have to use a live CD (eg: Mdv One), and make a plan, eg:

- First resize partitions to their minimal size,

- then use the trailing part of the disk to mirror the whole filesystem hierarchy,

- then erase the initial partitions,

- then create partitions starting from the head of the disk, and fill them,

- when all is transfered back, remove the now-empty trailing partition, and expand the now-last partition if needed,

- finally mount the new root partition, chroot to it, edit /etc/fstab, and possibly edit /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo -v.

That's just an example though. Depending on your partitions scheme, and the amount of data in each, you'll probably have to adapt. It's rarely that simple...

Yves.