Can't get 9.1 to boot - Update: boots, but...

scoopy

9.1 does not want to boot up. It freezes at "checking for new hardware".

Some things I notice before it gets to that point:

Finding Module Dependencies: ldm_validate_partition_table (): Disk read failed

modprobe: insmod scsimon failed

I first tried to update, did not work, wipe the partitions, try clean install, try again and again. No luck with anything. Installs take about an hour each, with partial freezes along the way (unaccounted for blank dead space/windows).

I can boot failsafe, but don't know what to do then, since above makes no sense to me.

ISO's checked out with md5sum, and I burned them with X-CD-roast, which I thought maybe a bad burn, but then I had also tried to reinstall 9.0, which went flawless last time, but acted the same as 9.1 did this time.

Have you done a scan of your harddrive for bad sectors? I would say that you are looking at a hardware failure. And since 9.0 installed fine before, and now doesn't would indicate that it's not a problem with 9.1. Try seeing if you can download some diagnostic software from the manufacturer for your harddrive.

I get the "ldm_validate_partition_table (): Disk read failed" on my system as well. I found that it was caused my Compact Flash reader (and my house mates machine my his zip drive). If there is no card in the reader I get this error, but if there is it goes away.

Yep, those messages must be related to the USB CF card reader. If I boot without a CF card inserted I get those messages. If I boot with a CF card inserted in the card reader, those messages dissappear. Must be one of those new features they introduced.

My harddrive checked out fine with the manufacturer's utility and I also ran a virus check, just to be sure.

System is still hanging on "checking for new hardware." I am thinking it may just be something with my USB mouse, since setup didn't give me the "test" option after selecting it. I will do some searching on this since mousedrake did not want to fix it either. Another one of those new features I guess. Version 9.0 never gave me these problems even though it is one of those 5 button scroll jobs.

Thanks for answering.

Things are running much smoother now, No more 15 minute boot ups or other hangups with harddrake, mousedrake, or mcc. Seems it is a problem with the USB... at least the onboard ports.

Instead, I plugged my mouse into the add-on pci - usb2 card, and things started to rock and roll... wheel and all.

Still need to figure out then, what happened to my onboard USB ports. They still work with windows.