Mandriva 2007 Spring

Jimtim

I've just downloaded the latest edition of Mandriva and I can no longer open my usb key. I need this for my work!! :help:

PS - for those that tried to help me out with my password problem. The new OS seems to have sorted that one out.

[moved from software - arctic]

Sorry, "Spring" is still Cooker and should NOT be used on computers that are needed for production. Bugs are expected in Cooker and you should report any bug you run into in bugzilla at http://qa.mandriva.com

Check if the USB drive gets detected at all. Plug it in and run from a terminal

lspci

If the usb-device does not get listed there, check if udev is running in MCC -> system -> services. If it runs, report a bug.

When you set up easy-urpmi, did you use the 2007 or cooker repos?

Have you checked this yet:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=303709

Don't boot your system with your usb-key in.

Insert your key and post the output of

CODE

dmesg | tail

Here is the result from dmesg | tail

sda: Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 2033920 512-byte hdwr sectors (1041 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
FAT: Unrecognized mount option "flush" or missing value
[root@localhost james]#

Sorry, "Spring" is still Cooker and should NOT be used on computers that are needed for production

Yes, I understand why now! Actually, I didn't do it on purpose. I was trying to update the system to solve an issue with Firefox. I got a bit more than I bargained for! How long will it be before the official version comes along? Still, looking on the bright side, it's not the end of the world (I can still use Windows!! :woot::crown: ) and it gives me the chance to contribute to Linux - which I really want to do. But if anyone does have any ideas about my key!!

I am still thinking that you are experiencing some sort of hardware issue. I am running 2007 Spring, and I get a pop-up screen with my usb stick. It also shows up in my devices window. I have all my sources updating from cooker, which I updated yesterday.

Yeap, no doubt about it: I've updated to cooker.How do I stop this from happening again and what can I do about my key? Do I just wait until the final version comes along? My key is a Samsung YP-U1, by the way. Perhaps if I can find a driver? Anyone know where I can find one?

Yeap, no doubt about it: I've updated to cooker.How do I stop this from happening again and what can I do about my key?

You have used urpmi to upgrade a system from 2007.0 to Cooker. I've no idea now as to what version your system is, so please post the output of

cat /proc/version

IMHO (after reading your threads and seeing all the many changes you've made), I would suggest that it would be easier for you (and easier for us to help you), to reinstall your system with Mandriva 2007.0 and set up easy-urpmi with the 2007 repos (not cooker).

I feel very strongly that if you follow these instructions:

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desk...ndriva_free2007

you will eliminate most of your problems, and your usb-key will work for you... it doesn't need a special driver installed. :rolleyes:

Hello again JimTim. I totally agree with Greg2 on this one. Your system must be such a mish mash now that to help you help us to help you a new install of 2007.0 is a good idea. What I do in these cases when I wnat to do a clean re-install is copy my /home directory to a spare partition that I have and during install I can reformat both /root and /home just in case there i some gunge in there. After the re-install I copy back from the old /home into my new shiny /home things like documents, downloads etc. Basically data that I have put in there, that way all the config files will be refreshed. Unfortunately all the settings for 'Firefox' etc. I have to put in from scratch. Then I can safely delete the old /home directory once I have what I need from it. In fact this is what I will do when the official spring release is available. Go for it Jim re-install. :P

Nice to hear from you again, Silversurfer. Yes, you're right: I think my system is in a bit of a mess - call it "beginner's soup".

:thumbs: So, you win!!! I I'll do it! (actually, I've already done it at least four times in the past!!)

Just one thing though - what do you do about Thunderbird? I don't want to have to re-do my address book - and I have some emails there that I want to keep. OK, I could copy stuff in a file then paste, but that's a bit messy. I imagine that all of this is in the root directory and not in the home directory (or is it?)

All your address book and your email messages are in your /home directory so they will be safe if you don't format it. Anything that's user orientated like that is usually in your home folder, including firefox stuff.

Best of Luck and put it down to learning, I still do it so don't worry, you are not the only one.