Netapplet always disconnects

Guest thomasca

Guest thomasca

I'm on the verge of going mad here.

At home, my internet connects and stays connected, but here at the college campus, it disconnects like hell, to the point where I have to use Windows to use the wireless connection they have on campus here.

I have a broadcom94306 wireless chipset on a Gateway 7210GX laptop, and it can connect to the APs and connect to the internet just fine, but after about 10 minutes, it disconnects, and I have to go back into Netapplet and tell it to reconnect.

I've searched EVERYWHERE for this, and am considering dropping Mandriva for a better support Linux dist. But before I do, is there anyway to fix this? At all???

Guest thomasca
Just to confirm: does the connection stay stable in Windows and only drops in Linux? Or does it drop in Windows too?

It stays stable in Windows.

However, I got it to work wonderfully with no disconnects today. In the Control Center in KDE, if you set up your wireless connection in Internet & Network -> Wireless Network, It'll stop disconnecting on it's own. I neglected that menu last time, thinking it might not help, but it actually did! All you really have to do after that is to be sure to activate it.

Good thing I found it too. Now using KDE over Windows on Campus or on a public hotspot isn't a hassle anymore.

Guest thomasca

Disregard that, the problem still exists...

I was connecting through Net Applet (the applications in the systray by the clock). I would click the AP and the connect button and it would either time out on a DHCP request or connect.

But often enough, it disconnects and it takes a good while to reconnect it.

I'm not exactly sure why it does this...

Guest thomasca
BroadCom 94306 is operating via a wrapped windows driver (ndiswrapper) which sort-of-works for that chipset.

For better wireless support you will need a chip supported by Linux natively- you can safely blame BraoadCom for that...

The ndiswrapper driver doesn't disconnect, so it's much better.

Although, next time I will look for a laptop with an Atheros chipset. Broadcom was just a headache.

I had problems with Network Manager, and I just removed it because it was causing me problems with disconnecting the network all the time.

Not sure if you mean this, or some other netapplet.