Web browsers

Jimtim

OK, so I noticed that my Firefox was an incy-wincy bit out of date and so I decided to put it up to date. I went in the MCC, un-installed my currect version of Firefox, then tried to re-install it. No go! Then I tried via urpmi. This is what I got:

[

root@localhost james]# urpmi mozilla-firefox
The following packages can't be installed because they depend on packages
that are older than the installed ones:
mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.2-4mdv2007.1
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) y
To satisfy dependencies, the following package is going to be installed:
xdg-utils-1.0.1-3mdv2007.1.i586
Proceed with the installation of the 1 packages? (0 MB) (Y/n) y

ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/release/xdg-utils-1.0.1-3mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
installing xdg-utils-1.0.1-3mdv2007.1.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...					 #############################################
  1/1: xdg-utils			 #############################################
[root@localhost james]#

No what do I do?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should add that Firefox is still working, I'm using it now, but I dare not switch it off 'cause I know I won"t be able to get it going again. Trouble is, dunderhead that I am, I didn't write down my user name and login password to this site (thought I'd not forget) and I don't know how I'll be able to post anything if I lose Firefox. That'll teach me not to write things down!

OK, sorted the Firefox installation problem out. Darned simple really - I just needed to update my URPMI sources. :dunce2: I'm now running Firefox2.0.0.2 - which is the same one as before. 2.0.0.3 wasn't available in URPMI.

So, I have no un-installed and then re-installed Firefox but the problem remains. I still can't access my customer login page. :angry:

tried the link you sent & have replied to your message asking if getting to the login is further than you got. If so I noticed that it uses a java script - amybe now that you have sorted out your repositories you could do a 'urpmi --auto-select' at the cli (command prompt as root) then log out & log back in & try again?

OK, done that. This is what I get. Is this correct??

[root@localhost james]# urpmi --auto-select
One of the following packages is needed:
1- gnome-speech-driver-espeak-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586 : Backend for gnome-speech based on espeak (to install)
2- gnome-speech-driver-festival-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586 : Backend for gnome-speech based on festival (to install)
What is your choice? (1-2)

If you are still having problems with the Mozilla link that SoulSe posted...

Open Firefox and go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Encryption and select both 'Use SSL 3.0' and 'Use TLS 1.0' if they are not already selected.

OK, done that. This is what I get. Is this correct??

[root@localhost james]# urpmi --auto-select
1- gnome-speech-driver-espeak-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586 : Backend for gnome-speech based on espeak (to install)
2- gnome-speech-driver-festival-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586 : Backend for gnome-speech based on festival (to install)

pick no.1

I would also do as greg2 suggested although this should be picked already

OK, done. Now I have to choose between the following:

1- mono-1.2.3.1-3mdv2007.1.i586 : Mono Runtime (to install)
2- libmono-runtime-1.1.17.1-5.2mdv2007.0.i586 : Libraries for the Mono runtime (to install)

As a matter of interest, to help me understand Mandriva a bit better, what does this command urmpi --autoselect actually do? It looks like it searches for missing programmes. Am I right? :unsure:

Very handy little tool that! Beats anything on Windows! Still, you need to know what choices to make. What guides you? I mean, how do you know to choose 1 rather that 2? Anyway, Urpmi has now restarted and I now have another choice. Here it is:

[code]restarting urpmi
1- gnome-speech-driver-espeak-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586: Backend for gnome-speech based on espeak (to install)
2- gnome-speech-driver-festival-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586: Backend for gnome-speech based on festival (to install)

[/code]

I mean, how do you know to choose 1 rather that 2?
Because 2 is a library - libraries are usually only used for development. If you aren't planning to develop mono applications you only need the runtime - which allows you to run already built mono applications.

1- gnome-speech-driver-espeak-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586: Backend for gnome-speech based on espeak (to install)

2- gnome-speech-driver-festival-0.4.10-1mdv2007.1.i586: Backend for gnome-speech based on festival (to install)

This one seems to be purely about preference. It uses one of two text-to-speech programs to accomplish the same task. I've never used either of them, so I can't tell you about any real differences. It's safe to say that you could just flip a coin: heads=1; tails=2. Or, you could have a look at their respective web pages: espeak,festival.