Web browsers

Jimtim

Hi

When I go to my bank's website with the latest edition of Firefox, I get the following message when I try to follow the link to the customer login page:

Unexpected response from server

Firefox doesn't know how to communicate with the server.

*   Check to make sure your system has the Personal Security Manager
	  installed.

*   This might be due to a non-standard configuration on the server.

When I try with Opera, nothing happens at all.

Trouble is it all works fine with Winders!!!! :furious3::pissedoff: This is doubly annoying as I'm trying to persuade my wife that Linux rocks. :hanged: She doesn't believe it for a minute - for her it's unreliable and too complicated . Help me please!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply Jaraeez.

Forgive me, but what is a https site? It is a secure site if that what https means.

As for the version of Firefox, it's 2.0.0.2. I didn't have any trouble before I upgraded to this version, although I can't be sure that the problem is related to this upgrade. As for Opera, it's 9.10 - the latest version, I believe.

The fact that I have trouble with both browsers leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with a Mandriva configuration - but I can't imagine which!

I have recently been experiencing problems of Firefox not being able to open some sites that are quite easily opened by Galeon and Konqueror. Here on my usual 2007Official, I have Firefox1.5.0.10-2 and in 2007-1beta2 I have the Firefox2.0 (updated daily). Both OSs have the same problem.

One site in particular has revamped its website (computer and components retailer) recently and I thought it might have been a website problem but a have since found a number of sites with the same problem.

I have ipv6 disabled etc but wonder if this might be a Firefox problem rather than a settings problem since my Firefox settings have remained the same for over a year.

By the way it is just http and not https.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks for your reply Jaraeez.

what is a https site? It is a secure site if that what https means.

;)

As for the version of Firefox, it's 2.0.0.2. I didn't have any trouble before I upgraded to this version, although I can't be sure that the problem is related to this upgrade. As for Opera, it's 9.10 - the latest version, I believe.

The fact that I have trouble with both browsers leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with a Mandriva configuration - but I can't imagine which!

I think this maybe related to nss (not 100% sure though) as you say that it happens in both Opera & Firefox

I have recently been experiencing problems of Firefox not being able to open some sites that are quite easily opened by Galeon and Konqueror

hmm again this makes me feel it's nss.

Can I ask if your PC's are fuly updated as I know they were issues with one of the nss updates in Mandriva

Maybe you could also post one of the links you have a problem with so as I can give it a go.

You could also start firefox with 'firefox -profilemanager' in the cli (command prompt) and created a new profile, then try the link from that profile.

Sometimes it is possible to get into sites like this by spoofing IE. That means setting your browser's identification string to match Internet Explorer. For some banking sites, this is enough.

I'm lucky in that my bank fully supports Firefox and recommends its use as a more secure browser :thumbs:

You were tight, John, it does work in Konqueror, but why? It apparently isn't just a Firefox thing though, because Opera doesn't work either, although both work in Windows.

Jareez, can I send you the link by personal message? I'm perhaps a little paranoid, but I don't want to tell the world what bank I use! ;)

I've just sent you the link, Jareez.

Yes, I"ve followed your suggestions as far as I can. I've checked that my computer is up to date, and it is (if the green tick in the task bar is reliable)

What do I do after I've typed firefox -profilemanager? It takes me to my homepage, but how do I navigate from here? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by nss.

SoulSe, can you tell me how you spoof IE?

The problem is though that Firefox and Opera did work before, but now they don't. Firstly, I'd like to find out why (in case I ever get this problem again) and secondly, the fact that they did work suggests that some sort of configuration has changed and that the problem lies there. I can't imagine what that configuration could be, though. And why does it work with Konqueror? I think I'll try downloading Maxithon to see if I get any joy there. I don't really need another browser, but the test could be revealing.

Ha! Guess what? Firefox doesn't like your link SoulSe. Same problem:

installed.

Some urls would be nice

Could you clarify this, please Iphitus? Sorry for being slow! I'm a bit of a newbie you see!

Ha! Guess what? Firefox doesn't like your link SoulSe. Same problem:

installed.

Did you get that error when trying to follow the link I posted? Because that link goes to the Mozilla site, so there must be something very wrong with your Firefox if it won't display its own developer's website.