sick of mandriva

doody

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we discussed this one month ago! :o

Sorry to resurrect this issue artic, but I really think we can't talk about it enough. If Linux is to have any chance of beating off the almighty Winders, all the distributions have to be as newbie-friendly as possible (and I don't think Mandriva is the worst in this respect). This is not the case at the moment, and lordy knows how many people install Linux only to give up and go back to Bill Gates. Mandriva et al have to get the message :wall:

There is no limit to the number of times we may rant about a particular subject. However, such a thing belongs in Everything Linux or Talk-Talk. If this thread is not a quest for help, it is out of place in Software.

I suggest anyone interested feel free to start a new thread in one of those forums.

On second thought, after re-reading the thread, I have moved it to the appropriate forum. Enjoy!!

the distributions have to be as newbie-friendly as possible (and I don't think Mandriva is the worst in this respect)

Newbie-friendly isn't just about the distro, the underlying software, and how it is glued together. It is also about how the software is delivered to the user. Times are changing IMO, and making the software "newb friendly" is not enough. The gnu community is making strides in making *nix's easier to use, but it doesn't stop there. Communities need to learn to deliver their software effectively to interested and able users if Linux is improve considerably the rate of adoption. Mandriva as a company fails to understand that IMO, it fails to show strength in the one area strengthens that delivery to users, it's marketing and customer service! But Mandriva is not alone, the general linux community has this problem with RTFM mentality and the childish flaming that goes on within and between distro's, the only difference between the general community and Mandriva is teh exchange of funds, and with this we expect more from Mandriva.

I agree with the above post.

A "victory" for a single Linux distro is no better than a world of just Windows. It is the same dance, different partner. I agree that some distros carry this to a harmful extent. One of the basic differences that needs to occur on desktop technology is the absurdity of "just one." Any distro that attempts to propagate such an idea (there are at least 2 who do) is missing the big picture. They do not want to replace Windows; rather, they want to become Windows.

My first post concerning Mandriva marketing was so long ago, I don't even remember it. While some has changed over the years, Mandriva still looks at marketing as some sort of sub-human activity. I now understand that there is a business culture in France that is a little different than other countries, one which seems to advocate that marketing is equivalent to lies and consumer feed-back is tantamount to allowing others to affect something that is none of their business! As odd as this is to me, I know that the traces of such attitudes go back in most western culture. Successful business environments have found that consumers drive success, as does marketing to them. At any rate, some things in culture are unimportant, and other things need to change.

Human sacrifice was a cultural phenomenon in many places in ancient days. That needed to change. So does this current business climate at Mandriva.

But we discussed this one month ago! :o

True. But we also discussed how to install Java last week, and yet the question still pops up. Topics like this are re-occuring, and while they might be old-hat for some of us, are probably worthy of discussion for new users. Some of it will be rehashing for sure, but we'll also get new ideas and updated info.

That's how I see it anyway :P

Also installing java is a good subject for the Wiki.... whereas this isn't (IMHO)...

What I'd love to know.... is how do Mandriva think they are doing?

Honestly I don't know, do they not realise or just not care or ????

As odd as this is to me, I know that the traces of such attitudes go back in most western culture.
Very astute my old friend! Edited by Gowator

True. But we also discussed how to install Java last week, and yet the question still pops up.

That's one thing I don't understand about java and other browser plugins. In Gentoo I just emerge them and that's all I have to do. I don't understand why it has to be so complicated in Mandriva. Surely there's some way to fix this?

Mandriva doesn't package Sun Java with their "Free" (don't know about the pay-for) releases because of Sun's license (they include blackdown java instead), IIRC. So people download it from Sun's site. Sun doesn't provide distribution-specific packages, so you have to link things so that it's seen by all programs that need it. Some distributions have this fault, others do not (Gentoo isn't the only one) - it's one of those choices a distribution makes. Why doesn't Gentoo have a Control Center? Eh? EEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH?????? Or perhaps a default front-end for portage? No default front-end? Awwww. :P

(those are rhetorical questions posed simply to make a point that distributions do things differently - it's choice.)

It's like some distributions including nvidia drivers: Mandriva doesn't, like a few others.

Why doesn't Gentoo have a Control Center? Eh? EEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH?????? Or perhaps a default front-end for portage? No default front-end? Awwww. :P

Because Gentoo users like cli and don't want something like MCC. :P

Because Gentoo users like cli and don't want something like MCC. :P
Correction: Gentoo devels don't want to make something like MCC. They decided not to (for whatever reason). Because of that choice, the distribution attracted people who don't need/want something like MCC.

Last time I checked, you still had to download the actual Java package (in .tar.gz, I think) for Gentoo, put it in a specific directory, and then install. It's still not included in the repositories as it's own package (for the same reason Mandriva doesn't include it - licensing/re-distribution restrictions). Instead of making the user do this, Mandriva decided to put in an implementation of Java that doesn't require them to go this round about way.

BTW - originally, Sun's Java release for Linux was based off of Blackdown Java (a previous version, obviously) - the java that Mandriva includes.