sick of mandriva

doody

Dear usergroup,

I've used Mandriva for years and have no problem installing from scratch the operating system. I upgraded from the 2007 free version because I wanted the LinDVD and other things like RealPlayer, Kaffeine, etc. etc. I've ordered the boxed version from Mandriva which cost approx £40.00 and had to wait 3 weeks for it. I have tried installing it today, there are 2 disks in the box, but the book doesn't say which one to use, I have tried instlaling both of them separately.

There is no usually set up wizard like in the older versions or even in the free 2007 version, (i.e. where you are guided through the set up). The main reason I am so angry is that what I have paid for (LinDVD, Kaffeine, RealPlayer etc...) is not there at all. I have tried going into the install packages/software. When clicking on the multimedia tab as described in the 'Getting Started with LInux' book it states to click on 'Multimedia' - Video - Kaffeine. I have no kaffeine available. When I put a DVD movie in the machine it does not load up LInDVD automatically as it says in the book.

I've always been loyal to Mandriva because it is quite simple for newbies like me, but now I am thinking about going to other Linux distributions in the future.

Am I doing something majorly wrong? I appreciate any help. (sorry for being grumpy!)

doody :o

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason I am so angry is that what I have paid for (LinDVD, Kaffeine, RealPlayer etc...) is not there at all.
If this is so, send it back and demand a refund. But before you do that, try to launch e.g. Kaffeine from the terminal. If the terminal reports that the application ain't there, then send the box back.

That does sound some very poor delivery from Mandriva. It is possible, of course, that the box you received was a dud or not packaged correctly. As arctic said, send it back and demand a refund. If the product itself is really that poor then I don't blame you for wanting to look elsewhere.

Two disks? I assume two DVDs, right? Anyway the package manager is rewritten from scratch and it had some bugs when it was released like it can't find some packages even if they are there. You need to update your system. Sounds like catch 22 but we'll help you with that.

If you still think you got a bad delivery or something's missing you should write to the club forum because we are an unofficial fan site not related to Mandriva in any way. You can register for free on http://my.mandriva.com Not to mention that unlike the rest of Mandriva stuff Adam is responsive. If you can't get an answer from the support he'll take care it for you.

Not to mention that unlike the rest of Mandriva stuff Adam is responsive. If you can't get an answer from the support he'll take care it for you.

I'm with dexter11 on this one, I strongly advise trying to get a response from Adam on the club forum first, plenty of stories of people failing to get a response from other official channels!

had to wait 3 weeks for it

This is plain wrong. On that basis as well you could ask

for a refund for poor customer services

(UNless you live on a vary far island)

LinDVD, Kaffeine, RealPlayer etc...) is not there

Fire konqueror and do a search on the dvd/cd for the lindvd rpm

I suppose search for *dvd*.rpm

Edited by emmanuel_uk

That does sound some very poor delivery from Mandriva. It is possible, of course, that the box you received was a dud or not packaged correctly. As arctic said, send it back and demand a refund. If the product itself is really that poor then I don't blame you for wanting to look elsewhere.

I've had a dud boxed set.... its not fun and Mandrake (at the time) had absolutely no interest except suggesting I join the club and pay for expert....

In the end I used a magazine cover version... but it was the last time I paid mandriva for anything!

[That's not the sort of service that's going to convince people to switch from Windows to Linux, now is it! We can at least see this about the firm of Bill Gates: it knows how to market its product! Mandriva has a lot to learn on that front, I think.

Mandriva has a lot to learn on that front, I think.

Yes. But we had this discussion repeatedly in the past, so let's not start all over again discussing Mandrivas marketing. (Hello Gowator. :D)

;)

If you have 2 discs they are likely a dvd and a cdrom ( could also be a dvd). The dvd will be the Mandriva2007 Free version and the other disc would contain the Lindvd and stufff that is the non free stuff. Did you bother to check the second disc to see if the so called missing stuff was on it ???. I suspect it is.

I have Kaffeine on my machine and it is part of Mandriva2007 Free.

The other 2 you mention are proprietry products so are in the nonfree category and therefore not included in a standard Mandriva install. For a long time mp3 drivers were in this category. That is also why libdvdcss is not included in the OS (it is illegal in the USA) but can be obtained from plf which is outside the USA.

I don't like to jump to conclusions but I have a feeling you jumped too soon.

Check your discs a little more carefully and I feel you will find what you are are looking for.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Even if he did receive what he paid for, it is still pretty pathetic to not even clearly label discs or provide clear instructions.

I DO think it is fair to discuss Mandriva's marketing again - because they are clearly not getting the basics right.

But we discussed this one month ago! :o

True. But we also discussed how to install Java last week, and yet the question still pops up. Topics like this are re-occuring, and while they might be old-hat for some of us, are probably worthy of discussion for new users. Some of it will be rehashing for sure, but we'll also get new ideas and updated info.

That's how I see it anyway :P