Safely Shutdown [solved]

Scythe

Get the Ultimate Boot Disk and you can test specific hardware components. Windows will run on bad hardware, so I would not trust that all is well just because windows works.

Get it here.

Something else to try - are you using the KDE display manager?

In the MCC, under System, click 'Choose display manager...' - is it set to KDM? :unsure:

You may have to reboot after changing it... 'shutdown -r now' from the command line.

Or using beryl or compiz?

Ok, I guess upgrading to KDE 3.5.6 did solve the problem. When I upgraded I just restarted the X server instead of doing a complete reboot. Now I have all the right buttons.

Get the Ultimate Boot Disk and you can test specific hardware components. Windows will run on bad hardware, so I would not trust that all is well just because windows works.

Get it here.

I got that and ran the RAM and a few different HD tests. All of them came back with no errors, so maybe (hopefully) it was just a odd glitch.

I guess the problem is solved though. Thanks everyone for your help.

So installed the updates and the problem was fixed.

This is another example of why the first thing I ever do after an install is to download ALL the current updates before I start asking for help trying to solve problem. I tell everyone I install Mandriva for to do the same if they encounter a problem on a program that they perhaps haven't used since I did its original install. Rarely has this routine failed and I have had to delve deeper into the problem.

I hope this little experience sticks in your mind because it can save you a lot of time and unnecessary angst.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Only thing is I thought everything was up to date :) I noticed the KDE update only after I made the first few posts. It's a good point though and I'm definitely checking for every update before posting here.

• 3 months later...
Hey,

when you click on logout you then should have the option to 'end session' 'restart computer' or 'shutdown computer'. From the cli (command line) you could also issue the following command

shutdown -h now

which will of course shutdown the pc. Is this a clean install or have you upgraded? I would also check the HD for errors.

HTH

I also have install different version of Mandrake and Mandriva and have lost the turn off computer button!!

Someone please help!!

The aknetskimo

Welcome Aknetskimo to MUB

As mentioned earlier. Have you installed ALL the latest updates for your OS ???. By the way what OS and version are you using ???.

I am afraid no one can help you really when you don't give us any information in the first place.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn