LM with Win

spaaz9

I know you can install Linux alongside a Windows partition and grub will recognize it's there and all that jazz, but can you install windows after you've already installed LM? I have a 20GB hard drive, and 10GB is used for LM. I want to put Win98 on the other 10GB. Anything special I have to do for LILO or Grub to stay as the bootloader? Basically, I don't want to boot into windows automatically.

I think the easiest thing to do would have been to install windows first. when you install windows now, its gonna write over the Master Boot Record. you could always install windows and let it write over your master boot record, then use your linux boot floppy to boot, and once in linux run as root:

lilo -v

which would restore lilo as your boot manager.

Alright... thanks a lot. I would have installed windows first, ,but I really hate it, and I was running Lycoris Desktop/LX on the other part. but I wiped it when I installed LM. I just need widows to run my usb cd-writer... LM won't recognize it.

The reason its normally easier to install Windows first is that it over writes Lilo. THis means you can't boot back in to Linux afterwards. This is easy enough to fix as long as you have the original install CD or a Linux boot disk. But there is no required order to install them in.