Error Mounting External HDD

SugarHiccup

So, I come here admitting defeat after exhausting every other avenue for fixing my issue.

I'm trying to mount my NTFS external HDD using ntfs-3g. In control centre it's showing as 'Type: ntfs-3g, which I assume means that part of it worked, but when trying to mount it, it spits me out this error:

Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1': Operation not supported

Windows did not shut down properly. Try to mount volume in windows, shut down and try again.

Mount failed.

Anything I can find reporting this error states to reboot windows ... but I'm having issues with this as I'm 100% Mandriva, no dual boot or anything :o

Whilst I was in the process of mounting this drive, I decided to see if my other internal NTFS hdd would mount (Ariel) ... and it appears to have worked, but doing the same thing for SDA1 doesn't work (I should also point out that whilst Ariel seems to be mounted, I can't access it. It says 'Permissions Denied').

/dev/hda1 7.7G 3.3G 4.1G 44% /

/dev/hda6 26G 22G 3.8G 86% /home

/dev/fuse 38G 3.5G 34G 10% /mnt/Ariel

I feel very stupid, so please excuse any ignorance on my behalf.

Thanks!

Edited by SugarHiccup

try running this command via the terminal as root:

fdisk -l

to fix the issue with sda (found here)

as for the permissions issue, can you give us the contents of the file /etc/fstab?

if you need more specific instructions, let us know :)

My /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/Patch ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/Ariel ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

sda1 now is doing the same thing as the other drive 'Permissions Denied' when I try to access it.

Open konqueror, and type in

man:ntfs-3g

Here you will get info how to mount NTFS partitions with custom options.

For external USB HD's formatted as NTFS it's another story- you may need either a couple of udev rules, or some kernel patches. Which distro are you using?

Currently, and on any modern distro, an external USB harddisk, using any filesystem, does not need any fstab entry- provided that it's tuned properly.

sda1 now is doing the same thing as the other drive 'Permissions Denied' when I try to access it.
Check the permissions of the directory where the hard drive\partition is mounted.
Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1': Operation not supported

Windows did not shut down properly. Try to mount volume in windows, shut down and try again.

Mount failed.

When I get this error doing what the error message says always helps. So since you don't have Windows and it's an external hdd, plug it in to a Windows machine and run chkdsk on it. See if that helps.

Open konqueror, and type in

man:ntfs-3g

Here you will get info how to mount NTFS partitions with custom options.

For external USB HD's formatted as NTFS it's another story- you may need either a couple of udev rules, or some kernel patches. Which distro are you using?

Currently, and on any modern distro, an external USB harddisk, using any filesystem, does not need any fstab entry- provided that it's tuned properly.

I actually use Mandriva 2007 and have an external usb HDD formatted in NTFS, and every time I connect it, it loads the normal ntfs driver from the kernel even if I have installed ntfs-3g, and I cannot write files until doing a umount and remounting with ntfs-3g, manually.

So I want to know how to load ntfs-3g when I connect that drive to start writing without remounting, and I think I can use udev rules, but don't know how to write them, can you help me? ;) Thanks in advance

Post your fstab pls.

As mentioned above, there is no need to change anything in fstab for mounting usb drives, so I did not change anything at all in the fstab, nor I dont want to use it for mounting the external drive unless necesary, because I think that if I attach more than one drive and the /dev/ entry changes, it will be for no use :wall:

Anyway, here it is:

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,users,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Sometimes I have problems with USB disks/memory sticks, and I use the fstab to get around the problems with mounting it.

Either that, or I think you're looking at editing udev rules, which doesn't sound that easy from when I looked at it.