No close button or menu bars for windows in root

Scythe

Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, but I can't find any threads for this. When I'm logged in as root, there are no menu bars for the open windows. I can't move them, can't minimize, and can't close them with the convenient little X in the upper-right corner. It's just not there. I don't know why it does this as it's set normally when in a normal user desktop.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but please bear with me :)

Hi Scythe~

A few quickies off the bat;

How long has the system been installed?

What ML are you using?

Was it an upgrade or a fresh install?

When did the problem start?

What Window manager are you using & version?

Did you change anything about that time?

Boner :huh:

Did you do all the updates with easy-urpmi? And im guessing your not using anything "fancy shmancy" like 3d desktop.

Open a terminal as user and then type; su, password, kate. Does Katie have all her widgets in the right place?

I think i've seen some threads around about different KDE 3.5 GTK themes and widgets not displaying properly - so you could try changing the theme that root uses. Is it possible to re-create the fault with Gnome or ICEWm in root?

Use easyurpmi http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php for adding software mirrors and update your box. If you do not have 3D stuff enabled, it is most probably a bug and a bugfix should be available from the software mirrors.

One comment: It is not recommended to log in as root as it

a ) a security risk

b ) a great way do to trash your system accidently

Thus, you should learn how to do administrative tasks using the commandline tools (mc, nano, vi) and/or the Mandriva Contol Center (MCC, aka "configure your computer").

If you need help with certain tasks of which you don't know how to do them without fully logging in as root, then ask us. We will guide you step by step until you feel comfortable with a non-root account. ;)

Oh, I'm perfectly comfortable using root to do stuff. I watch what I change and I definitely research before I mess around with stuff that would kill my installation :)

Far as I know, I don't have 3D enabled. I don't think it would work since I'm using Xinerama for dual monitors, from what I've read. I'll take a screenshot in root so maybe you can get a better picture of what I'm talking about.

This is what the open windows look like (couldn't paste the screen shot from the clipboard for some reason, so I used my camera).

mandriva_ss.jpg

As you can see, I can't close them using the X or move the windows at all.

Yeah, no time to be an ostritch :-P I prefer KDE anyway.

As far as I know I didn't change any defaults. This happened the other two time I (fresh) installed Mandriva 2007 on this computer earlier.

All that did is reset it to the way it was when I originally installed the OS. Still no menu bars :(

It's a weird thing indeed. Is there some way I can copy the KDE configuration from my normal user to my root account? Or would that not be advisable?

You forgot that every time Konqueror is open or any program is opened, it can be closed SIMPLY by clickig on File at the top (Location in Konqueror) and then clicking Quit from its drop down menu. Dead easy. :D

Regarding the problem you encountered:- I experienced the same effect just a week ago after downloading a numder of updates in 2007-1 Spriing. I just worked past it ( since it was cooker anyway) and when I downloaded further updates about 3 days later the problem disappeared. Obviously there was a problem and it was fixed.

Account kde settings into Root, of course you can but why should you need to when you only need a few basic settings in root. After all you won't be spending much time in root or even need to be really.

I use different kde settings in root so I am always reminded and aware that I am in root and not think accidently that I am in my account. Very risky.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I have different colors, etc. in root so I definitely know it's not my normal account. And, yes, I know I can close it with the File menu, but I'd like to be able to move the windows too ;) It's annoying when the Firefox window is right on top of the panel menu.

Perhaps you could try switching display drivers (assuming there are more than one compatible with your card, which is pretty much always the case).

It would also be interesting to get a Live CD distribution, like PCLOS, that uses KDE as its default and see if the same problem is experienced when booted into the CD environment...