apache-mod_userdir - Mandriva 2007 Free

Stanley H. Tweedle

hi. in searching the forums, i found only one thread pertaining to my issue of Apache Module mod_userdir and not much more [that i found helpful] elsewhere, surprisingly.

having used FC5 for several months as a home Workstation / Testing Server, and now using Mandriva (at least temporarily) for the same, i must say i don't understand why it seems that the familar ./home/*/public_html/ for a "User Dir" isn't supported. it's merely mentioned as follows in the Mandriva 2007 httpd.conf:

## LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so		-> available in the apache-mod_userdir package

curious also why some modules are commented w/ one "hash mark" (octothrope), vs two-- where mod_userdir does have two.

perhaps i'm to go about having a "User's localhost" in a different manner here in Mandriva? perhaps, in my limited familiarity w/ Mandriva itself, there's more i should know-- such as "Mandriva isn't packaged to be a fully functional Web Server / Mandriva isn't meant to support User directories"?

it would seem, as it stands, i'd be forced to use "root" to properly develop web stuff. what am i missing here?

i've tried #] urpmi apache-mod_userdir (and several variations thereof), and nothing seems to give me an option to install a mod_userdir "package". is there something like a yum.repos.d that i need to configure here to provide myself some more resources?

EDIT:

conceeding to copy a few webs to /var/www/html/ i discovered that there exists one directory below named "addon-modules" in which resides HOWTO*addon-modules.html

the link within this file leads to http://nux.se/apache/ -- a site which appears to be right-minded, yet has little in terms of useful material as most/ all links are "broken"

so... how is this issue handled by a Webdeveloper working in a Mandriva environment?

thanks!!

Edited by Stanley H. Tweedle

please excuse the "bump", but i've learned a few things since posting this topic, so i want to update what's going on here.

first of all, i suspect that i should probably have more resources in my "Media Manager"?

currently, i have two items:

installation i586 CD1

update_source

i received the following errors when, following a recommendation to install drakwizard as part of the process to installing mod_userdir via the System Config dialogs

drakxtools-http-10.4.81-2.2mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied perl-Authen-PAM[>= 0.14-1mdk])

Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

webmin-1.290-4.3mdv2007.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl-Authen-PAM[*])

Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:

park-rpmdrake-3.19-1.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied scanssh)

## and the following when attempting to install certain selections (other than the above)

#

There was a problem during the installation:

xpdf-tools conflicts with poppler-0.5.3-5.1mdv2007.0.i586

poppler conflicts with pdftohtml-0.36-5.1mdv2007.0.i586

i realize there's a great margin of possibile conflict, dependency issues, etc-- however, i also know that if a dependency can be installed, to resolve an issue, but it's simply "not available" due to repos themselves, then perhaps-- i need to work on that configuration a bit (as it's practically still an "out of the box" setup)

any advice will be appreciated. THANK you!

:)

PS. what can i do from CLI to give me some data to report here which might shed give a summary view of my system? (such as chkconfig for example?)

Edited by Stanley H. Tweedle