Sabayon 3.3 is out

emmanuel_uk

See www.sabayonlinux.org which is Gentoo based. The preferred way to get the iso is Bittorrent: www.linuxtracker.org.

A good way to learn Gentoo IMHO.

What do you they say there?

A lot of you asked, what Sabayon Linux could offer in particular? And I'm proud to answer "all the bleeding edge technologies" that every day hit the Linux arena, without exceptions, without politically driven ideas. The best, will be in, from extraordinary Multimedia features through the most advanced Wireless support thanks to the inclusion of the new DeviceScape wireless stack to Beryl, our official 3D technologies partner. So, are you really ready for all this? We hope so!

So what's the point?
Well, the original point was the Anaconda-based installer, back when Gentoo still did the text-based install where you had to go through the stages and so on.

Of course, I imagine the Wiki could answer your question too! But since we're all being lazy today:

• Performance: We have modified make.conf to ensure that our distribution runs at the highest speed possible on newer computer hardware and fast on semi-older hardware. As such, our distribution is not meant to be run on Pentium Pros, although it is entirely conceivable.
  • Versatility: Again, we have modifed make.conf to give nice wide range of features for all computers. We have also compiled the kernel to run well against most of the architectures out there while still leaving plenty of room for performance and, as always, the ability to change anything at your desire.
  • Stability: While many would call the distribution extremely experimental, we give options. You can boot up with xgl to have xgl autoset up and installed, or you can boot with gentoo legacy and have a very conservative system. Also, being built upon the strengths of Gentoo, you know you're getting a rock solid distribution worthy to slam with processor and ram intensive jobs while having the OS run smoothly.

That's the short list. If you want the long, RTW.
I don't see why people have a problem with compiling. It never bothers me.
Because it's time-consuming, and for the period of time while you're compiling (on many systems) the system is basically unusable for all but simple tasks such as IM and possibly web browsing. Whether the amount of time it takes to compile is "too long" for a person is completely subjective, so while for you it may seem like nothing, to others it may seem like too much. But, comparatively speaking, a binary-based (yet still highly-customizable) distribution like, say, Arch takes a significantly lower amount of time to install packages due to the lack of a need to compile. And in the end the performance difference is negligible in most cases. Where you would (probably) notice the difference is on machines that run system-intensive processes, like extensive 3d rendering (think making a CGI movie) and things of that nature.

Those are just the facts ;) - opinions aside.

Because it's time-consuming, and for the period of time while you're compiling (on many systems) the system is basically unusable for all but simple tasks such as IM and possibly web browsing.

When I first started using Gentoo I had a 733 mhz Celeron. I could compile and do anything else I want. It's never bothered at all.

When I first started using Gentoo I had a 733 mhz Celeron. I could compile and do anything else I want. It's never bothered at all.

Try playing a game (it'll likely run like crud), some music (probably skip a bit), or using the GIMP (slow response) while compiling. It's not to say that you can't do anything else, it's to say anything that's processor-intensive quickly becomes slower (unless you modify nice levels, which Gentoo might have added). But my other points remain, and they were the main points ;)

Other issue, if you need to install something and use it immediately, it's impossible with Gentoo until it's finished compiling.

With binaries, you download, and isntall, and you're ready. Of course, it might take a little longer to download than the source through portage, but it's immediately ready after install. I still love and use Gentoo, but for me it has certain purposes. Desktops doesn't make it viable for me unless I'm not changing or installing stuff regularly and often.