Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring RC1 "Xianyang" released

dexter11

Mandriva is pleased to announce the release of the first release candidate for Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring. Spring features a raft of improvements and enhancements over its predecessors, including the latest software, extended support for the latest 3D desktop technologies (including Metisse), enhanced and improved system configuration and software installation tools, cutting-edge hardware support, and a sleek new look. The official announcement includes all the details on this release candidate, what you will find in it, and where to download it.

source: MandrivaClub

Quite impressive that they now keep up to date KDE and Gnome at the same time and it seems they really want to do some affort on the rpmdrake application, thumbs up.

Now, can they keep the bugs down?

They also have a nice package in here called libmotif3, which will enable me to run the native Lotus Notes 7 client on Linux. Because I couldn't get it running in 2007.0, so I can now test it in 2007.1 as I got it working in Ubuntu/Debian Etch/CentOS/RHEL/Gentoo and others.

For others nothing major, but for me, devout Mandriva lover, I wanted Mandy 2007 working :woot:

not following cooker but looking at mondo I learned that

mandy 2007.1 was going to use cdrkit rather than cdrecord.

A major difference worth knowing IMHO and not in the log

of the official annoucement (might be clearer somewhere else mind you)

not really, it's only a minor difference. cdrkit is a recent fork of cdrecord by a debian dev afaik because of maintainer issues. Currently, there's no practical difference between them. It's also been adopted in many other distros rather than cdrecord.

James

worth knowing because the executable does not have the same name, so anything that uses cdrecord and is not "updated" will not work unless one add a soft link to wobin or whatever it is called (case for example of mondo)

so yes a small fork, just worth publicising the potential problem during transition time

(especially with home brewed compilation + install)