libstdc++ - Opera - dependencies - etc

hi there. my experience w/ trying to install opera is as follows:

[root@localhost www_Browser]# urpmi opera*
Some requested packages cannot be installed:
opera-9.10-20061214.6.i386 (due to unsatisfied libstdc++.so.5)

and my attempt to resolve it ends with:

[root@localhost www_Browser]# urpmi libstdc
The package(s) are already installed
The following package names were assumed: libstdc++6
[root@localhost www_Browser]# urpmi libstdc++6
The package(s) are already installed

** the insignificant www_Browser just happens to be what i named the sub directory under ./home/Downloads/

(thanks to everyone for being so pleasant and helpful so far as well. the "tone" of this forum is extraordinarily unassuming, it seems. and that's pretty cool ;)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Try:

urpmf --name libstdc

it will list what packages are available, and then choose the one for libstdc5, which is probably something like:

urpmi libstdc++5

to fix your problem.

Where is this rpm from though? If it were from the plf repositories it would have plf in the name (and apparently only version 9.02, not 9.10). But as far as I can tell, the Mandriva rpms from opera.com have "shared-qt" in the name...

It looks like libstdc++6-4.1.1-3mdk.i586.rpm is standard for Mandriva 2007 so if the opera rpm is insisting on version 5 then maybe it's just a mistake. You could try forcing the install to ignore the requirements, and see if that works.

edit: Oops, maybe you should just ignore what I said - I just googled for "opera install libstdc++" (I guess you did this already, right?) and it came back with several answers saying "don't force the install, it won't work anyway". I kinda assumed that you couldn't have both 5 and 6 together...

So just do what Ian said and get the libstdc++5 package! :P

When installing Opera 9.1 on my Mandriva Free 2007, I had to install libstdc++5-3.3.6-3mdk.i586 first. So try

urpmi libstdc++5

if You have properly configured Your repositories, or You can download it from one of the links listed here (it's for 2007.0 version of Mandriva).