Logitech Media Elite Keyboard [solved]

Scythe

I got a Logitech Media Elite keyboard for Christmas. It works great for Windows - it's got hotkeys for mail, internet, media player, player controls, messenger, and several more programmable hotkeys.

Now my dilemma. I really want to switch to Mandriva 2007 as my primary OS and save the XP for gaming and other things I can't do on Linux (some school programs). The only thing is I want the functionality of the keyboard in Linux.

Is there a way to use the Windows drivers in Linux? Is there a program or something that I can use to map the hotkeys in Linux? Is there some other method I haven't thought of?

I appreciate any feedback :D

Edited by Scythe

I don't know how I completely neglected to do a Google search. Wow, go me :o

How do I get it to install the RPM with all the required libraries? It's been a while since I've done this.

I don't know how I completely neglected to do a Google search. Wow, go me :o

How do I get it to install the RPM with all the required libraries? It's been a while since I've done this.

Hey,

The way I go about such a senario (maybe not the best way) is once I know what requirements are needed fire up mcc as root 'of course' & search for the individual files (assuming you have setup all your repositories). Install away then install the rpm from the cli rpm -iVh ... like I say maybe there is a better way but this works for me. I use http://rpm.pbone.net/ in most cases which will let me know the required libraries before installing the rpm.

HTH

orrr

just urpmi keytouch

and if keytouch isnt in the repos, double click it, and it will launch gurpmi, a GUI front to urpmi that will install it's deps and then install it.

i have one of these too, i can post my .Xmodmaprc if you like.

James

I tried that at first - but it doesn't download the deps. After I DL it and ask i to install, it pops up with "unable to access hdlist file of "main", medium ignored" If I hit OK then it tells me some requested packages cannot be installed.

I tried that at first - but it doesn't download the deps. After I DL it and ask i to install, it pops up with "unable to access hdlist file of "main", medium ignored" If I hit OK then it tells me some requested packages cannot be installed.

Visit our Easy-Urpmi page and configure your repositories before using urpmi to install.

Urpmi will solve dependencies if it has access to the required packages, so don't bother doing it any other way. Get your repositories right and all will be well (I hope :P )

Only thing I can't find the directory for the repository for keytouch. Or indeed what to do with it when I find it.

I tried something that seemed to work, but not quite. This is what I put into Konsole:

[root@localhost scythe]# urpmi.addmedia rpmpbone ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2007/i586/RPMS/
unable to access hdlist file of "main", medium ignored
added medium rpmpbone
wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation DVD.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation DVD (main32).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "rpmpbone"...
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2007/i586/RPMS/media_info/
synthesis.hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Server denied you to change to the given directory
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2007/i586/media_info/
synthesis.hdlist_.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (9) Server denied you to change to the given directory
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2007/i586/RPMS/synthesis.hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (19) Given file does not exist
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/2007/i586/media_info/hdlist_.cz

...retrieving done
examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.rpmpbone.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.rpmpbone.cz]
unable to parse hdlist file of "rpmpbone"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.rpmpbone.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "rpmpbone"
found 0 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
unable to update medium "rpmpbone"
[root@localhost scythe]# urpmi keytouch
no package named keytouch
[root@localhost scythe]#

I know I'm trying to add from a i586 directory when my computer is x86_64, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

Edited by Scythe

Nevermind. Went straight to the source(forge) and downloaded the RPM from there. Schweet. It's nice to have that functionality in Linux. Now it just needs a volume up/down and mute plugin for amarok and it'll be perfect :)\

Thanks everyone for helping.

Edited by Scythe