Dell poll about preinstalled Linux

arctic

Dell to Expand Linux Options

Your feedback on Dell IdeaStorm has been astounding. Thank you! We hear your requests for desktops and notebooks with Linux. We’re crafting product offerings in response, but we’d like a little more direct feedback from you: your preferences, your desires. We recognize some people prefer notebooks over desktops, high-end models over value models, your favorite Linux distribution, telephone-based support over community-based support, and so on. We can’t offer everything (all systems, all distributions, all support options), so we’ve crafted a survey (www.dell.com/linuxsurvey) to let you help us prioritize what we should deliver for you.

Taking a few minutes to complete this survey will help us define our forthcoming Linux-based system offerings. We will close the survey on Friday, March 23. From there, we’ll take some time to analyze your feedback and work to provide the platforms and options you choose.

Thanks in advance for your participation. More details soon.

Update: We're overwhelmed by your responses, and we know the survey server is overloaded too. We're working on it, and the survey will remain open until March 23, so you'll have plenty of time to make your vote count.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/12/7985.aspx

I think the point is, that people who know about these more-or-less 'obscure' distros are usually tecnically capable enough to install it themselves over the pre-installed stuff. Provided the hardware is compatible and the drivers well-written.

My answers are in. It's tough to suggest a distro. Ubuntu is an obvious one for me as a one-size-fits-all distro. But then I would love to be able to buy an XPS with Arch or Gentoo pre-loaded.

I think the point is, that people who know about these more-or-less 'obscure' distros are usually tecnically capable enough to install it themselves over the pre-installed stuff. Provided the hardware is compatible and the drivers well-written.

I agree entirely. If Dell get a big response but the votes are split between 20 distros, Dell can easily say "well we'd like to offer Linux but there's no consensus on what people want!". If there's a big response saying "give us supported hardware and an empty hard drive" then that's a whole lot easier for Dell and anyone so inclined can install whatever distro they like on it. At least for home users any pre-installed distro is only going to be upgraded or re-installed before too long anyway so it's a bit of a moot point.

Actually, I think it might be an improvement that they list several distros. They are a Windows company, and in the past Windows companies, if they offered Linux, only offered Red Hat or Windows. The fact that they know there is a wider choice is significant.

I wasn't saying I want them to go with Arch or Gentoo, I just said that this was something I would want.

Ubuntu is the clear choice for me.

So long as the hardware all enjoys vanilla kernel support (as much as possible) I'd be happy.

Yup. /me wants his hardware vanilla kernel-supported B)

I wasn't saying I want them to go with Arch or Gentoo, I just said that this was something I would want.

Ubuntu is the clear choice for me.

So long as the hardware all enjoys vanilla kernel support (as much as possible) I'd be happy.