Root can't go to Init 3 from Init 5

Stanley H. Tweedle

SYS:

Mandriva 2007 FREE (4-CD ISO install - did NOT copy installers to hdd)

1.4 GHz - AMD Athlon something-or-other...

640 RAM

20GB HDD (just for tryin' mandriva)

Monitor - Multiview E750

Card - NVIDIA G-force Legacy (g2?)

after following the step-by-step nvidia installation listed here at mandrivausers, i can no longer get to Run Leve 3 using INIT 3 from CLI

i proceeded like so:

su
init 3
binutils (didn't need it)
chmod Nvidia-- well-- i didn't D/L it so i had to go back and start over!
su
pass, etc., figure out which dir i was supposed to be for the NVIDIA file to chmod, etc
init 3
chmod +x NVIDIA-Lin* 
./NVIDIA-Lin*
proceed through install process till it determines i needed the KERNEL-SOURCE
start over 
urpmi KERNELSOURCE - (option 10, same as i selected during primary install))
begin process again...
su
pass
init 3 -- nothing. no change to "run level 3"

it seems that i can't get the system to go to run-level-3 from the CLI as root. i've tried both [ su ] and [ su - ].

i tried running the NVIDIA installer w/out going to init 3 and i only get as far as the first screen because it can't run / install from within the running X-Server.

ideas? this is my first day w/ Mandriva. i've got some experience w/ FC5, but not a whole lot. so far, i like what i see here in Mandriva. knowing linux "issues", i dont' find this to be particularly unusual, so i trust it's a simple resolve.

EDIT:

i forgot to mention this important oddity - if i use the mouse from IceWM to select "Logout", the system continually goes to a sort of Installation screen. i wasn't sure at first, and i did proceed through a few of the screens, only to realize that it appeard to be the same as when i was using the ISO CD's (only the display was 1280 X 10.., etc, so it looked a little diferent) -- the point being-- why does it keep trying to go through the install process upon "Logout". it's as if there's a user running in there behind my primary user which is stuck at the process of step-one-install. weird.

additionally, trying a workaround w/ this NVIDIA issue, i got into the Mandriva Sys config area-- got into "Change Display settings" and the screen goes all blue w/ the X in the middle (you know the one..) and tells me that the display on :0 couldn't be started because there's already a display there. it wanted to try another number above :7, or try again on :0. i tried again on :0, it goes back to the desktop momentarily, but after about a second or two, back to complain w/ the same error again. this time selecting "yes" (vs no for :0), and i go out to that "Installation" screen-- previously described. (like the CD-ROM installations, but just a little different-- asking for Language, etc.)

if needed, i have no problem doing a clean install again-- though i don't look forward to the package installs again. maybe i can reinstall, but leave the "packages" on there?

thanks. sorry for rambling-- but i figured, rather than practically "cross-posting", i'd try to get it all covered right here. sorry for so much text.

Could be the display manager locking up or blocking the attempt. Rather than fool with it, reboot and hit the Esc key when you see the lilo boot selection screen. That will take you to a boot prompt at which you should type:

linux 3

and hit the Enter key. In the above, "linux" refers to the lilo boot entry which by default is "linux" in mdv2007. If you've customized this lilo label, just use that instead of "linux". The "3" obviously refers to run level 3 and causes the system to boot to a non-graphical command line login, i.e. X is never started so you don't have worry about shutting it down before doing your nvidia driver installation. Just login as root at the login prompt and do your installation.

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. so far everything is working perfectly-- albeit, i completely started over-- it just didn't make any sense to me to try to start "undoing" problems i may have experienced due to simply "trying unusual configuration" (i.e. nothing but IceWM, etc.... not that it's THAT unusual, but...)

so everything's okay now. RESOLVED.

(edit: moved extensive commentary to new thread-- considering relevancy. sorry for any confusion)

Edited by Stanley H. Tweedle