Cannot Open ISO Image

Guest darnaxx

Guest darnaxx

Hello all. I'm new to Linux (but not PCs), so please bear with me here. I don't know if this is related to Linux itself, or what...

I downloaded the Mandriva Linux Free DVD (as well as the 4-CD version) and have the ISO sitting on my HD. I cannot, however, find a program that can successfully open and burn either version. I have attempted to use 4 different programs, 2 of them being Alcohol 120% and the Windows Powerpack ISO burner.

Any suggestions? Is there a specific program to do this via Windows? Or is there a method that has to be used outside of Windows to do this? (I was under the impression ISO is compatible with Linux and Windows, and is treated as raw data).

The ISO does not have to be "opened"- just burn it straightaway.

I suggest ImgBurn ( http://www.imgburn.com/ ) which is free and absolutely the best application for burning CD and DVD ISO images to media.

Alcohol 120% should also work for burning- but mounting the ISO to a virtual drive and extracting the contents is the WRONG way to proceed.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest darnaxx

Ok, thanks Scarecrow.

[Edit]: Ok, I burned the DVD. At least, the platter of the DVD has that burned look. However, when I try to boot from it, it tries to read and gets nowhere. Any other tips, links to instructions, etc?

Thanks again

P.S.; I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor and a nVidia nForce 3 250 MB

Edited by darnaxx

Be sure that you burn the image and not simply burn the file to the dvd. The software program should specify burning an image. I use Nero when I am in windows.

Guest darnaxx

I did indeed burn the image correctly, using InfraRecorder. I also downloaded Ubuntu, and burned that to CD. Neither Ubuntu or Mandriva will boot to install. The drives try to read them, and it looks like they don't see anything they can comprehend.

Am I missing something? Does the BIOS need a specific setting?

P.S.; Would Windows be able to see the files on the Disc if they were burned correctly? I know it can see .tar.gz and .run files downloaded from the internet.

Burning an iso requires no special bios settings. What program are you using specifically to burn the iso? What dos the disk look like when your are done?

Guest darnaxx

I used ImgBurn to burn the DVD-R of Mandriva.

I used InfraRecorder to burn the Ubuntu CD.

The DVD-R verified. The disc shows it has been burned, almost completely (4.7GB DVD). The color went from medium purple to dark purple.

The CD doesn't show much of anything, but the Hash Check was fine when I checked it before the burn. Either it burned completely, or not at all.

In either case, neither will boot. I didn't figure there were special BIOS settings (I know I haven't seen one in 10 years anyway), aside from the boot sequencer. And it wa sindeed set to boot from DVD/CD before the HD.

Guest darnaxx

Therein lies the whole problem.

I see nothing.

No error on bootup. The system tries to read the CD or DVD (I've tried both, separately) and bypasses it to Windows (since if the CD/DVD-ROMs don't boot, it goes to the HD next). No messages at all. I go to view it in PowerDesk Explorer, Windows Explorer or My Computer and see nothing.

I just re-verified the DVD-R on my fathers system (since he has the DVD burner) and it checks out. I tried to burn yet another copy of Ubuntu, this time with Alcohol 120%, it still won't read. No files, no directory tree, no .ISO image file, nothing. Trust me, I'm not just copying the ISO to the disc, I've worked in computers too long to make a little mistake like that.

At this point, if no one has any ideas, I'm just going to give up and buy Linux at some point when I'm forced to choose between that and Vista.

Edited by darnaxx

If the computer thinks it is burning and the software thinks it is burning, then your laser has gone out. Replace the drive.

When opening the burned disk in windows explorer you should see a directory tree with some subdirectories, not just a single iso file. If you are not seeing that, either the disk has not been properly burned or your optical drive cannot read your cd-r or dvd-r media for any number of reasons. Some drives just have compatibility problems with certain brands of media.

If you have access to another computer, see if that box can read your burned disks. Also, have you had any other burning problems in windows?

Guest darnaxx

Hay Gowater, thanks for the link. I'm willing to bet thats whats wrong... I'm burning it as a data file (it's data, so duh, data file right?) instead of a disk-at-once.

Thanks all. I'll try this as a disk-at-once. Either it'll work, or I give up.