3d desktop

WickeD_Angel

Hello guys,

I want to start using 3d desktop and similar effects, but when go to MCC --> Hardware --> Configure 3D Desktop Effects, it is shaded and I cannot activate it? I checked - I do have kompiz package installed.

This is the output of the Hardware Section on my video card:

Identification

Vendor: ?ATI Technologies Inc.

Description: ?Radeon 9600 AS (AGP)

Media class: ?DISPLAY_VGA

Connection

Bus: ?PCI

Bus PCI #: ?1

PCI device #: ?0

PCI function #: ?0

Vendor ID: ?0x1002

Device ID: ?0x4153

Sub vendor ID: ?0x1043

Sub device ID: ?0x003c

Misc

Module: ?Card:ATI Radeon (fglrx)

I checked the manual, it says drak3D should install needed packages the first time it runs. Any advice for proper configuration and/or needed packages would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is probably a driver issue. Where did you get your fglrx from? What does "fglrx_info" present as output, when type in a terminal window at the command line? I found it most convenient to install the ati driver from the plf sources (see the Easyurpmi-Link at the top of these pages). Drivers name is ati, you'll also have to install dkms (should go automatically). There's some settings in /etc/xorg.conf to be correct for working 3D desktop. Please take a look at this thread, so you'll get some more info.

HTH,

scoonma

The packages are:

dkms-ati-8.28.8-3plf2007.0

ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdv-8.28.8-1mdk

ati-8.28.8-3plf2007.0

These are the correct ones. With fglrxinfo, I've made a spelling mistake. Sorry! (...there's no underscore)

With a proper /etc/X11/xorg.conf file you should get along. See also this thread for a good example. If you have still trouble, feel free to ask again! :-)

This is the output of the "fglrxinfo" command:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

display: :0.0 screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5)

The direct rendering module is not being loaded, which is often due to an error in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Thus X11 is falling back to software rendering, indicated by use of the mesa drivers. For ati cards, your xorg.conf has to include the following entry:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Please see the link above to a working xorg.conf file.

Edited by scoonma

I put this at the end of xorg.conf:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

I also changed those two lines as suggested in the post:

# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===

Option "VideoOverlay" "on" to "off"

and

# === OpenGL Overlay ===

# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay

# will be disabled automatically

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off" to "on"

Option "CenterMode" "off"

When I enter in the MCC control center, 3D stuff is still grayed.

When I use the "glxinfo" command, I get:

name of display: :0.0

X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)

Serial number of failed request: 15

Current serial number in output stream: 15

glxgears is working fine, but I get a message after it starts like so:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

1859 frames in 5.2 seconds = 360.815 FPS

2100 frames in 5.0 seconds = 416.760 FPS

4480 frames in 5.1 seconds = 880.347 FPS

4480 frames in 5.1 seconds = 887.059 FPS

4340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 866.608 FPS

4620 frames in 5.0 seconds = 916.714 FPS

4620 frames in 5.1 seconds = 899.892 FPS

4620 frames in 5.1 seconds = 904.010 FPS

4658 frames in 5.1 seconds = 907.426 FPS

I don't know what else to do, so any advice would be appreciated. :)

I don't know what else to do, so any advice would be appreciated. :)

Let's try to sort this out from the beginning:

1. Which kernel do you use? You can find out by typing "uname -a" at the command line.

Do you have kernel sources installed matching exactly your kernel version?

2. Re-install the package "ati" by "urpme ati" and "urpmi ati" from the command line as root.

Do you get any errors here or are the packages being installed correctly? dkms-ati relies on

the kernel source tree to compile the correct driver for your kernel. If there are any errors, please

post the output here.

3. Modify xorg.conf to get your fresh built driver loaded. If you still have trouble, please post

your xorg.conf here, too.

HTH,

scoonma

"rpm -qa | grep -i kernel" gives:

kernel-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdv-8.28.8-1mdk

I don't know what's the difference between the stripped version and the full version of the kernel source, yet I believe there may be some difference. Should I install the non-stripped version?

I don't know what's the difference between the stripped version and the full version of the kernel source, yet I believe there may be some difference. Should I install the non-stripped version?

It's okay, you can go on with the stripped version. Besides, what is that ati-kernel? If unsure, you can look it up by "urpmi -vi ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdv" (if you have full hdlist.cz installed, i.e. not the compressed synthesis hdlist).

It's okay, you can go on with the stripped version. Besides, what is that ati-kernel? If unsure, you can look it up by "urpmi -vi ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdv" (if you have full hdlist.cz installed, i.e. not the compressed synthesis hdlist).

The description is the following:

ati-kernel-2.6.17-5mdv - ati driver for Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv? ?

dkms binary kernel modules for the ati driver version 8.28.8, built for the 2.6.17-5mdv kernel.

In the changelog it says:

* Thu Sep 14 2006 Mandrakelinux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com> 8.28.8-1mdk

- Automatic build by dkms

Maybe that's the problem, but I haven't changed anything in the ATI packages section since the first install.

The proprietary ATI driver does not support ATM direct hardware acceleration when composite is on, and it also does not support aiglx. I do not have any ATI cards, but I know that after trying to help my daughter setting Linux on her new lappy (which has an ATI x1300 videocard).

For the composite thing there's no solution ATM, while for aiglx you can use the latest xorg "radeon" driver instead of the proprietary "fglrx" one- that is until ATI manages to pull out a decent driver for Linux- which I'm afraid is not likely to happen anytime soon...

Edited by scarecrow

I browsed through some forums and got the same outcome (See also this one on AGP aperture size in BIOS: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33882145 - uff!). That means, if you want full 3D experience, it's better to go on with the free radeon driver - so you're able to use AIGLX, too. OTOH, from my experience the radeon driver was much slower than the proprietary one, so I once decided to switch over to nvidia. But there's constant improvement with xorg, so...

I browsed through some forums and got the same outcome (See also this one on AGP aperture size in BIOS: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33882145 - uff!). That means, if you want full 3D experience, it's better to go on with the free radeon driver - so you're able to use AIGLX, too. OTOH, from my experience the radeon driver was much slower than the proprietary one, so I once decided to switch over to nvidia. But there's constant improvement with xorg, so...

So the choice is between:

1. Xgl (additional graphical server) + proprietary ATI driver or

2. Aiglx or Xgl + free radeon driver, which happens to be slow.

That's fine, I'll give it a try, yet I still have some problem using the proprietary driver, because the Xgl option is grayed :) I'll try the free radeon driver, just wanted to start and see the rendering with the proprietary one? Anyone worked through that?

Thanks for past and future answers. :)

So the choice is between:

1. Xgl (additional graphical server) + proprietary ATI driver or

2. Aiglx or Xgl + free radeon driver, which happens to be slow.

This is correct. But there is no "optimal" choice between these alternatives. Both are somewhat compromise solutions. In fact, you can have 3d acceleration in the first case, however not directly through the driver, but through Xgl. AIGLX is generally the better solution (and would be fastest with a complete driver supporting all features - but this is until now the "missing 3rd option" for many ati cards).