USB Drive problems [solved]

crazyspongebob

I am runing MD2007 with kernel version 2.6.18.8-1mdv on a dual amd mp 1.2 ghz with 1gb of ram. After I upgraded to this kernel, I could not just plug in a usb flash drive and have access to it as a regular user. I have to call up the control center and run "look at and configure the hardware" to see the drive. I have to configure the drive to be mounted as root with a mount point and then unmount the drive and disable the mount point. After this, I can mount the drive as a reguluar user. The following is what the log gives me after typing dmesg|tail:

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4

usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

usb-storage: device found at 4

sda: assuming drive cache: write through

SCSI device sda: 121856 512-byte hdwr sectors (62 MB)

sda: Write Protect is off

sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00

sda: assuming drive cache: write through

sda: sda1

sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda

sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

usb-storage: device scan complete

I have no problem seeing my 60gb IAudio player as a removable drive when plugging it in the usb. Just the hoops that I have to go through to get access to the usb flash drive drives me crazy. With Ubuntu, I just plug in the drive and it works. Any suggestion?

At first I thought that it could be the drive. So I try other drives that I have. It's the same problem.

jt

This kernel is "vanilla" (see the linus stamp on it), and as such it might not initialize a few things under Mandriva without tweaking. The reason is that most initscripts in Mandriva rely on heavy kernel hacks and patches- which is the defacto mandriva policy since ages.

The linus kernels are solely for experienced users which like to modify them at their will, and roll a fresh custom kernel of their own. The average Mandriva Joe should never touch them.

So should I roll my system back to the older kernel then by uninstalling that kernel?

You don't have to unistall anything. Just install a regular Manriva kernel, and boot that one instead. You can have a zillion kernels installed in parallel (provided that you do have some MB free on your /boot). Some of them will boot fine, some others will NOT- just remove the ones that do not boot properly.