Problem in building rpm package as user - not root

Hallo all! Yesterday I tried to build a rpm package from source tarball of amsn- amsn-0.96.tar.bz2. Yes, I know, that there is already precompiled rpm package in the urpmi mirrors, but I would like to build it by myself, just for the science- now I'm learning how to build rpms, and I already have built about 10 packages- nemesis, kbedic (this is a dictionary) and others- ordinary non-sophisticated programs. With the amsn, I tried to run spec file with rpm -bi command, in order to stop after installing, so I to be able manually to describe files in %files section of the spec file, which files to be included in the rpm package. But, after a while when I start, I received the following error:

Executing(%install): /bin/sh -e /home/nik/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.83384

+ umask 022

+ cd /home/nik/rpm/BUILD

+ cd amsn-0.96

+ '[' 1 -eq 1 ']'

+ rm -rf /home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot

+ make prefix=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr exec_prefix=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr bindir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/bin sbindir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/sbin sysconfdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/etc datadir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share includedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/include libdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/lib libexecdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/lib localstatedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/var/lib sharedstatedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/com mandir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share/man infodir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share/info install

rm -Rf /usr/share/amsn

mkdir --parents /usr/share/amsn

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/amsn': Permission denied

make: *** [install] Error 1

error: Bad exit status from /home/nik/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.83384 (%install)

RPM build errors:

Bad exit status from /home/nik/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.83384 (%install)

[nik@localhost SOURCES]$

As I understand, the problem is, that mkdir has no right to create a directory, but the directory is in my home directory, and mkdir is started by my user, so it is supposed to have permission to create directory?

I have a directory rpm, in the home directory, with its subdirectories for building rpms- BUILD, RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS, tmp with their subdirectories- like it is described in manual HowTo build rpms in mandriva. In my home directory, I have the files .rpmmacros and .rpmrc - their contents:

.rpmrc

buildarchtranslate: i386: i586

buildarchtranslate: i486: i586

buildarchtranslate: i586: i586

buildarchtranslate: i686: i586

.rpmmacros

%_topdir /home/nik/rpm

%_tmppath /home/nik/rpm/tmp

%_signature gpg

%_gpg_name Mandrivalinux

%_gpg_path ~/.gnupg

%distribution Mandriva Linux

%vendor Mandriva

%packager Nik123

And the content of the amsn spec file- section %files is not finished yet, but this is not supposed to prevent mkdir creating subdirectory in the /home/rpm directory of my user:

amsn-0.96.spec

%define name amsn

%define version 0.96

%define release %mkrel 1

Name: %{name}

Version: %{version}

Release: %{release}

Summary: Free open source MSN messenger clone

Source: http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/%{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2

URL: http://amsn-project.net/index.php

Group: Applications/Internet/Instant Messaging

BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-buildroot

License: GPL

%description

Linux clone of the Microsoft MSN messenger

%prep

%setup -q

%build

%configure

%make

%install

rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%makeinstall

%clean

rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files

%defattr(0755,root,root)

%doc README NEWS COPYING AUTHORS

%{_mandir}/man1/*

Any ideas ho to solve the problem? Thanks in advance

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

but the directory is in my home directory
Actually, the directory it's getting an error on is not in your home dir:
mkdir --parents /usr/share/amsn
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/amsn': Permission denied

I believe this is the result of the %makeinstall you are telling the spec file to perform. It's been a bit since I built an RPM from spec (did a few many years ago) but this appears to be the source of your problem. Unfortunately I don't have much advice on how to resolve it :unsure:

I think, according to .rpmmacros and the spec file, posted above, the directory /usr/share actually is the directory

/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share - here are the prefixes:

+ rm -rf /home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot

+ make prefix=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr exec_prefix=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr bindir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/bin sbindir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/sbin sysconfdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/etc datadir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share includedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/include libdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/lib libexecdir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/lib localstatedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/var/lib sharedstatedir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/com mandir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share/man infodir=/home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/share/info install

Almost the same spec files I've used to build another packages. But, thank you for the reply, I hope here will be another opinions too ;-)

Or ls -l ;)

I'm guessing here but it looks like it uses the directories under your home for the build step, but then for the install it really does (try to) use the real /usr/share/amsn.

Easy enough to figure out, just run it again as root and see if it does create a directory under /usr/share. If so then you at least know why it's failing - I'll leave it to the experts to tweak the scripts to install under your home!

• 2 weeks later...

I do not want to run it as root, because in some .tar.gz (source code) there is not an option to make uninstall, or make clean and I may fall in situation, that I will install some program, and won't be able to uninstall it . And the Rpm How To for mandriva says that it is dangerous to build rpm as root. Maybe I have to try finding amsn's source rpm, so I to be able to examine it's .spec file, maybe there I will find a way out from that trouble

What are the permissions on that directory? Use ls =l in /home/nik/rpm/tmp/amsn-0.96-1mdv2007.0-buildroot/usr/

I can't view permissions, because this is temporary directory, which is being cleared by the rpm program after process is completed/interrupted. But this is a directory, being build from the rpm program, and the rpm program is started by my user, and this directory is in the tree of my home folder

Edited by Nik123