Upgrading to Firefox 2.0

biddu

If you follow these instructions: Software installation , you will be able to install it with your gui package manager or urpmi.

I don't think so. :) Doesn't work. There is no package available for the current version of Firefox as far as I can see. And trying to install any other way--including urpmi--fails.

The latest stable version for Linux is 2.0.0.3, and mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1 is in the repos.

If your using 2007, mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1-4mdv2007.0 is in the repos.

For the latest version of Firefox you can:

1. Use the latest Mandriva release (2007.1) which does have FF 2.0.0.3

2. Use another, "bleeding edge" distro

3. Use the binaries from ftp.mozilla.org extracted somewhere at your user directory.

4. Compile it from source yourself

5. Buy a MAC and use the "universal binary"

6. Use windows, where everything is precompiled.

Using option (3) as you apparently did, the "cannot execute" message means that you don't have permisssions to run the command- that is, you likely unpacked the tarball as root. Equally likely, the whole "firefox" directory you've extracted has wrong ownership/permissions.

Edited by scarecrow

For the latest version of Firefox you can:

1. Use the latest Mandriva release (2007.1) which does have FF 2.0.0.3

2. Use another, "bleeding edge" distro

3. Use the binaries from ftp.mozilla.org extracted somewhere at your user directory.

4. Compile it from source yourself

5. Buy a MAC and use the "universal binary"

6. Use windows, where everything is precompiled.

Using option (3) as you apparently did, the "cannot execute" message means that you don't have permisssions to run the command- that is, you likely unpacked the tarball as root. Equally likely, the whole "firefox" directory you've extracted has wrong ownership/permissions.

Option 6 is beginning to sound better and better! LOL. I'm getting used to Konqueror so I may just stick with it. I principally wanted Firefox for Password Management but have now discovered kdewallet, so...

thxs

is it? I'm using 2007.0, what repo is it in cos I just did a search & 1.5.0.10 is showing as the latest!

Mark backports as updates and you will get it automatically when you update.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm a new user here. One of the things I like about this board is that it seems a lot of the regulars here work with multiple distros and so have some pretty broad linux experience. The question I have is not really based on a problem, but I'd like your experience or opinions on something.

I installed Mandriva 2007 Spring when it was first released and I really like it. I haven't had any major problems and went through a kernel upgrade ok.

I also installed Ubuntu Feisty on the same machine and like it as well.

Here's what I want to ask about. I was disappointed that it took Mandriva so long to come out with the Firefox 2.0.0.4 security update. It was released on May 30th but Mandriva didn't have the update available until yesterday, June 15th.

Why did it take so long for Mandriva to come out with this update? Is that typical? Ubuntu came out with the update right away.

What is your experience on Mandriva providing responsive support for package updates in general, relative to other distros?

I think part of my willingness to stick it out with a distro for the longer term would be influenced by the responsiveness of security updates.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't try to uninstall the Mandriva Firefox package and instead install the download from the Mozilla site because that will break some things, so I didn't want to mess with that.

Any comments and general experience on this question of responsiveness of security updates is appreciated.

dwb:

Welcome to the MUB B)

You should consider starting a new thread with a title that reflects your interest in updates and their timeliness. You will get more responses.

I have heard grumblings about Mandriva's slowness with updates. I run Mandriva 2005 so I no longer receive updates and thus don't pay attention to the update availability. If you want to run the latest and greatest Firefox and Thunderbird, I think you need to get used to the idea of downloading directly from mozilla.org, whether you stay with Mandriva or go with Kubuntu.