Upgrading to Firefox 2.0

biddu

Hi all,

I have Firefox 1.5.0.7 version and downloaded Firefox 2.0. as a rpm self extracting file. The downloaded file is in my download foloder. I tried to install the file to usr/java using chmod: command but the file is not recognised. "No such file or directory is the reply". So I copied the file to usr/java and tried again but again had the same result. I had logged in as root user. I tried the same after cd / into the download directory but still have the same result.

The process given on the java website is as follows

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To install the Linux RPM (self-extracting) file

Follow these instructions:

1. At the terminal: Type:

su

2. Enter the root password.

3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:

cd

For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:

cd /usr/java

Note about root access: To install the JRE in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install the JRE in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.

4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:

chmod a+x jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin

5. Start the installation process. Type:

./jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin

This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please can any one tell me the mistake I am doing. I am using MANDRIVA 2007

You managed to get me confused. Did you try installing Firefox 2.0, or JRE?

If you installed Firefox to /usr/java (which is nonsensical), then it's outside the system PATH, and as such it won't start normally.

Please, try one thing at a time, and DO_NOT_FOLLOW instructions put randomly at irrelevant places. Chances to mess your system are great.

Like scarecrow, you have me confused. You asked about installing Firefox 2.0, but you post included (part of) the installation instructions for Java.

Make sure you are trying to follow the correct instructions. Also, depending on the version of Mandriva you're using, you might be able to install Firefox 2.0 from the Software Manager in MCC instead of downloding and installing the generic rpm from the Firefox website. For several reasons, for new users using the Software Manager would be the better method.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to have messed up. Actually I am trying both, upgrade to Firefox 2.0 and also add Java Runtime as a add on. The post was meant to be for Java addon.

Now I will try to upgrade to Firefox from the Software Manager in MCC. But I think the problem of Java still will be unsolved. Please suggest a way to resolve this issue and thanks for your inputs.

I will try to upgrade to Firefox from the Software Manager in MCC

afaiK you cannot

You need to download the firefox tar.gz from mozilla

unpack it wherever you want

if running 2007 you also need to install some libraries (glibc?) via MCC

add path or icon to the firefox (cannot find the thread on this on the board where I asked about having the two versions of the libraries at the same time)

Have you tried installing these packages with urpmi?

I recommend you visit our Easy-Urpmi page and configure your package manager with a decent list of repositories. Then try using urpmi to install the Java run-time environment and upgrade Firefox.

If you need help with using Urpmi - feel free to ask, search the board or Google it - there are tons of tutorials out there.

The software manager in MCC is just a graphical user interface (GUI) for Urpmi. You could also use it from a terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wyatt
Have you tried installing these packages with urpmi?

First off, I am VERY new to Linux and am currently running the 2007 Free version of Mandriva.

I ran through the EasyURPMI updates and then ran:

urpmi firefox

FireFox 2.0.0.x was not listed. Is there a specific Source/mirror I need to select to get Firefox 2.x to show up?

Firefox 2 will be available in the 2007 Spring release. For a noob, I recommend updating to that release when it comes out. Otherwise, you can run Firefox 2, but from your user directory.

You need to download the firefox tar.gz from mozilla website

unpack it wherever you want

if running 2007 you also need to install some libraries (glibc?) via MCC

add path or icon to the firefox (cannot find the thread on this on the board where I asked about having the two versions of the libraries at the same time)

to unpack

say /home/user/download/firefox.tar.gz

do

mkdir /home/user/firefox2

tar -xzvf /home/user/download/firefox.tar.gz -C /home/user/firefox2

then

cd /home/user/firefox2

./firefox

it will complain some glibc error or libc error or some error

su then root password

urpmq -i glibc (to list the various version

urpmi -v glibc_version_that_is_neeeded (to install)

then go to konqueror options/preference menu or whatever then file type txt, subtype html and change the association from firefox 1.5 to 2.xx

• 3 weeks later...
One of the mirrors does have a working RPM for Firefox 2.0. It's not one of the official mirrors, something else I got from easy-urpmi. In any case, it works nicely.

Would be kind of nice if you told us where it can be found. I've tried everything trying to install the download from firefox and when I try to run firefox in the exctracted directory, I get "cannot execute". Yes, I have updated glibc.

Thanks.

Jay