HowTo: Userright-sharing in a small network?!

qeldroma

me:

I've got a Net with one Server and max. 5 Clients, all Linux.

What is the EASIEST way to share the resources of the server by NFS?

Simply copying the users.conf, groups.conf and shadow -Files to each client??

I tried with NIS (ypbind) but failed, because the clients aren't any more autark if the server fails...The same, when a networkcard is changed.

PLEASE help, i need this on saturday....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arusabal:

In my opinion the best way to do what you want is to use NIS, maybe using NIS slave servers...

but what you said about copying those files may work (but I think that that is a mess Wink mostly if you introduce changes/new users after doing such thing)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me:

When am using NIS, i've got NO Users on the clients. Then, when i want to disconnect the server for something, no client can work any more, because of shared /home on the server.

Am i right? That was my experience last time, the server crashed....

Think of 5 female secretaries who can't work any more, it was the hell!!!!

Another friend of mine told me to try the "copy and paste" method, because there are only few clients and every client will have always the same user....

Another argument of him against NIS was, to break a fly on the wheel with that way.

What do you think?

Which files are important for real on this way?

OR

HowTo do this with NIS and without loosing independancy of the clients?

arusabal:

You might want to set a slave NIS server on each linux computer, so when the main server is down, the slave servers, which hold a copy of the database of the main server, will do the job (I'm not an expert, but I don't see why this shouldn't work). Here are a few links that might help you:

http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/usd/scisup/faq/Uni...ix/NIS/NIS.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWT.../NIS-HOWTO.html

me:

Ok. I will first try NIS-slaves.

But if this doesn't do after one day, i'll give the other way a try.

Could someone please be so kind, to give me ALL necessary files, i have to copy/paste?

(groups.conf, users.con, etc...?)

Thx.

This message will prevent the post beeing "unanswered":

My last conclusion to this thing was, that i turned the whole net in a X-terminal-net :wink:

But before, i got NIS working but it's the base for a lot of problems, if you've got to setup NFS.

I couldn't get around adding a name-server (BIND), so NIS could work with "real" machinenames.

But that lead in difficulties with internet, because it tried to look first on the server for adresses, what took up some time, reallizing, he has to take the next in the list....

All in all, the X-Terminal-solution is MUCH faster (The clients boot only X and cups) and i did not have to set up some other Servers :D