compile/install problem

I have been trying to compile, and install, gdl-0.7.2 (need it for anjuta). As far as I can tell I did everything right and make gave me no errors. then I did the make install, the last part look like:

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.

test -z "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig"

/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gdl-1.0.pc' '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gdl-1.0.pc'

/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'gdl-gnome-1.0.pc' '/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gdl-gnome-1.0.pc'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/greg/Download/gdl-0.7.2'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/greg/Download/gdl-0.7.2'

This led me to believe that I now had it installed. However, the control center tells me that I have gld-0.6.1 installed and not the 0.7.2

Obviously, I am completely confused and have no clue and have done something wrong.

Any thoughts?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The software control center only can keep track of the rpm packages that are installed. For example, do:

$ rpm -q gdl

...and see what that returns. It will likely be gdl-0.6.1. That doesn't mean gdl-0.7.2 is not installed, just that the package manager is unaware of it, it has no way of knowing what other software you have compiled and installed maually from tarballs. That's why you should always install rpms whenever possible, which really is always, since if a pre-compiled rpm is not available, you can easily make and install a simple rpm from source packages using a very handy little utility called checkinstall. Installing from source directly should be a last resort only.

Anyway, did you try installing anjuta after installing gdl-0.7.2? It may find it's dependencies are all there and go. If it fails due to a missing gdl-0.7.2, try to find a gdl-0.7.2 rpm to install or install it using checkinstall to make and install it in rpm form.