n00b question: How do I install RPMs?

Doctor Praetorius

Go to this site: Easyurpmi http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Set up software mirrors as explained there (copy & paste) and make sure to check the box for the compressed index file. (I recommend not to use the backport mirrors for now as you are failry new to Linux). After that, start the control center, go to the software section and check the box for amarok in the "install applications" dialogue.

Alternative to using the Mandriva Control Center (short: mcc) is to use urpmi from the command line. Usage: Open a terminal, log in as root (type su and enter the root password), then type urpmi amarok. That's it. Help on urpmi is available with urpmi --help and man urpmi (for exiting the man page, press "q").

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arctic,

Thank you for your instructions that you provided Doctor Praetorius. I am a brand NooB with only a week of lenix system experience. I downloaded Mandriva 2007 last week and have been trying to figure out how to use easy urpmi and when I read your comment it finally clicked!

I was able to use the Konsole for the first time...and I am now using the new resources to download additional software.

Thank You!

ComputerDexter