Modems and LINUX...... Arrrg !!

AA

Dial In with mgetty (if I'm not mistaken)....not dial out, which is what you need...right? Here are the main choices that I'm aware of

wvdial

kppp

gtkdial (i think it's called-it's new)

minicom

modemlights

write your own script

and there are others......google :wink:

• 1 month later...
Guest mellobiafra

You think a little more effort might have been made to highlight the fact that KPPP requires manual installation. I have just spent two days wrestling with PPP scripts (which was an education...I think I'll stick with the command line anyway!) for a new 9.1 installation. I even rolled back to 9.0 and did an upgrade! KPPP disappeared and GnomePPP was broken! The Drake network configurator is a waste of time.

Just because we live outside the broadband access areas doesn't mean we don't use Linux! Surely it is a little premature to declare the death of Dial-up!!

Now that's the first time I heard that kppp requires manual installation. Yes, in 9.1 they split kdenetwork to kdenetwork and kdenetwork-kppp but that's pretty much it. I urpmi kdenetwork-kppp then as long as the modem is supported, I can make a dialup connection without a fuss or messing with scripts. I just select the modem device (usually /dev/modem), add phone number, put username and password, and in a few minutes, I connected to internet via dialup. (And even though I have DSL connection, I did try this out since I lent one of my linux box to a friend who only have dialup).

I agree that drakconnect is a bit useless in dialup account, even though it uses kppp as the dialer.

I think mellobiafra is referring to the fact that you even have to choose to install it and it's not by default. With this I agree. Most new users from other os's are going to use kde first and there's a really good chance they'll have dialup.

What does drakconnect do if kppp isn't installed? I think it's kinda silly to, and don't understand why linuxconf Networking isn't used instead for initial setup, because it has a lot more config options and when done, net_monitor can be used. Which raises the question....how in the world do you make net_monitor available for $USERS? I can't figure it out.....my changes are always overwritten in a new session or reboot. I haven't tried msec yet though.

Guest mellobiafra

The problem for me was the fact that KDENETWORK-KPPP was on Mandrake ISO 3...which seems a strange place to put such an important rpm. Installing it was a synch once I trawled a few groups and found a reference to it in an obscure cooker disco...and then went and downloaded it! At over 30hrs to download an ISO on dial-up I don't usually bother with the third disc...8.2 and 9.0 rarely prompted for it unless there was some isoteric or development apps being installed. Why has it been relegated with so little warning?

Hehehehe.. yeah.. disc 3 used to be the optional programs.. but nowadays with 3 GPL cd distro as common as grass, it becomes a necessity. Kernel-source is still in disc 3 as I recall and it is very important especially if you want to rebuild driver source rpms such as nvidia or connexant winmodems.

Can't be helped though, but at least you got your problem with your modem dialup solved :)

Guest mellobiafra

Sorted indeed. I'm happy as the proverbial pig now! The dial-up problems aside...9.1 identified and was content with my previously unsupported Agfa Snapscan E20, smartmedia drive, camera and laser printer right-away...and the excellent Kpilot is now syncing with my Handspring Visor. Now all I've got to do is find a way to get my Canon i320 BJ Printer working and Windows will finally be relegated to the subs bench...pity there's no firewire networking yet though...maybe in 9.2...

firewire networking is a kernel thing...i don't know when they plan on getting that working, however firewire has some support at this point so i would guess it's being worked on.

update: i'm working on rebuilding a kernel on my system (gentoo) and i see that there is firewire networking support available...dunno if mandrake makes use of it tho....

Guest mellobiafra

Hmmm! I have a firewire CDRW that I've rarely had any problems with...it appears as SCSI just like any other CDRW. That impressed me...firewire support under Mandrake is pretty mature...but regarding kernel compliling etc...I've only been using Linux for about 2.5 years :wink: I'm still bumbling about at the bash prompt and trying to figure out where rpms :oops: install the executables. But I'm getting there...I'm going to have a go at Kernel tweakage in the near future. I've spent a little more time reading and a lot less learning by mistakes (e.g. I won't try and set up Linux Networking using a Plug'N'Pray ISA NIC ever again!!!!) If you have any success with the FireNetwork let me know...