Modems and LINUX...... Arrrg !!

AA

I goto my buddy's house right and all I wanna do is install his modem on my system so that we can dial up and share the internet connection.

First I have to figure out how to install the modem... YEAH RIGHT !!

then somehow get the thing to dial up and stay connected... YEAH RIGHT !!

then somehow get the connection shared... YEAH RIGHT !!

With MDK 9.0 I got it right somehow, who knows how, but now it's freeking IMPOSSIBLE. boot into windows, it installs, i add the dial-up account and TADA...!!! NO-PROBLEMS.

I **REALLY** wish that it could and should be that easy in linux, but HELL no.

If someone has some advice on how to get a modem working in linux, specifically 9.1 and shared PLEEZ tell me, I would really appreciate it.

But for the moment I'm pissed off !!

hmm.. I asume this is a serial external modem.. not one of those USB or or worse external winmodem (yes, there is such a thing). I am surprised that it is not detected automatically in mandrake control center 's harddrake or drakconnect, but anyway.. all I used to do back then is just use kppp and point the modem device to /dev/ttyS1 or whatever the serial port used for that modem..

Then again.. it's been a while since I used external modem.. so this info may be wrong :?

Guest JaseP

As far as configuring the modem, it's just a simple matter of linking the modem in the dev directory to the appropriate serial port, or simply directing the dial-up program to the appropriate link. As for sharing, I assume that you can do that by creating a link to the device on the other person's machine, but since I don't network, I couldn't tell you.

OK... I'll give 100 % of the information

Zoltrix 56K V.90 Modem

External connected to com port1

I'm running MDK 9.1 and I want to share it with a Windoze XP Box.

I got it to dial up with wvdial, but as soon as it connected, it disconnected. The Harddrake did pick it up but couldn't do jack with it....

If I look in the hardware list it doesn't even exist.

I want to be able to set it up, share it, dial, and then have both PC's surfing. Why should this be so hard ???

Need any other info..??

Somebody must be able to help me here because I'm stumped..!!

It connected, did the handshake and then dropped me.... there was an output but as i am nowhere near my pc at the moment i cannot tell you what the output was.... next time i am near to my puter i will paste the output...!!

Note that kppp in mandrake 9.1 is splitted from kdenetwork. It's now kdenetwork-kppp. You need to install that in order to have kppp.

Other than that.. I second arnold's recommendation.. kppp is usually better than wvdial if you want to tweak around and know what error you have.

kppp is a KDE app isn´t it...?

I don´t have KDE installed at all...!! I don´t really like it much, itś like running 2 OS´s at the same time which doesn´t really do much for me. Admitedly it looks very awsome but rather not...!!!!!

what about dip ???

Can someone tell me anything about dip, because it looks like it´s a pretty simple and straight forward app.

Guest JaseP

There is a gnome equivalent of kppp, I just don't know what it's called off-hand.

I didn't find it as functional and user-friendly as kppp. Having been a Windoze/DOS user for years, I needed something that wasn't too foriegn.

You can dislike KDE all you want, but you can't argue that it doesn't have some usefull utilities and apps built in. Some reallyt nice apps won't run without KDE installed.

KDE does have useful apps and it does look good I won't argue there. I used it for quite a while... but then I discovered fluxbox.!! Hmmm YES.!!!!!

9/10 times there is an equivalent that is just as good if not better that supports gnome environments so you don't really miss out on anything as such. I'll agree that KDE is an awsome WM, no arguments there, I just feel that it uses up too many resources that could be used elswhere, that's all...!!

Now, about "dip"... what can you tell me..?