Quest For Glory V: Dragon Fire runs on Wine

Darkelve

The latest version of Wine, 0.9.32 is pretty amazing for games, meaning that lots of progess is made on the DirectX front. If progress continues to be made at this pace, things are looking good.

Aside from a better visual experience in Dreamfall, I now also finally got Quest For Glory V: dragon fire to run. Using Windows 98 profile, Sound: "OSS>Emulation".

I installed it using:

- "normal/recommended" setup

- also installed the Quicktime, using "minimum" setup.

This Gives error: "String Variable is not large enough for string. Check the string declarations.

Error 401" - I clicked 'OK'dialog box anyway.

After the first start, the game works! You might have to press escape a couple of times to get past the intro.

At the second start, however, when running the game directly from the "Gameplay CD", there's a green background and no images, although there is sound.

The workaround is to put in the Install CD, then start QFGV using wine QFG5.exe from the command line, and when it asks for the Gameplay CD and you put it in, suddenly the intro menu almost magically appears!

Then you can play it normally. Up to now I didn't have any problems at all, other than that the game launches in a pretty small screen.

Edited by Darkelve

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't get them to run. Neither KQ7 or KQ8 (although... who'd want to run *that*?).

I did get to run a fair number of other ones though:

- Deus Ex (fully playable - in fact I’m replaying it right now, superb game)

- Anachronox (playable)

- Dreamfall (not fully playable)

- Quest For Glory V: Dragon Fire (playable)

- Gabriel Knight II and III (fully playable - playable)

- The RPGmaker 2000 titles Laxius Power I, II, III (playable)

- Oni (playable)

- Secret Files: Tunguska (fully playable)

- Paradise (playable)

- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon (playable)

- Escape From Monkey Island (fully playable)

- Syberia II (fully playable)

- Call of Duty (fully playable)

- Max Payne (fully playable)

- Guild Wars (playable)

* when I say “playable”, it means that it runs but it’s not perfect.

Not a bad list :)

Edited by Darkelve

did not mean "Cyberia 2"? I have that game hidden away somewhere...could never get past the part where you're driving and have to shoot down those ships or whatever.

I never played KQ7 or 8, just up to 5. You reminded me of it...so I just bought the compilation that is supposed to run perfectly on XP, so it might work under wine (I don't know).

did not mean "Cyberia 2"? I have that game hidden away somewhere...could never get past the part where you're driving and have to shoot down those ships or whatever.

Cyberia = 3D Action/Adventure game

Syberia = Graphical point&click adventure game (the "puzzle" kind of game)

I never played KQ7 or 8, just up to 5. You reminded me of it...so I just bought the compilation that is supposed to run perfectly on XP, so it might work under wine (I don't know).

The problem with my "original" (single CD/box, retail) discs was that it couldn't finish the installation routine (still heavily dos-based). So if they have changed the installation method then yes, I figure you might have more luck. If you get it to run, please let me know.

[edited by tyme to fix quotes]

Edited by tyme