Disappearing USB [solved]

Timppl

On my Mandriva 2007 I have so far escaped pretty well all the problems reported here. However, yesterday the mounting of the usb key stopped working. What happened was that my daughter was logged in to the machine, and I needed to do something, and logged in in a nested window. I plugged the USB key in and it appeared on both desktops. I transferred my files, and then from her desktop (KDE) selected "Safely unmount". The usb key unmounted and the icon disappeared. It also seemed to crash my login in the nested window.

Since then the automounting of the USB key does not work, just coming up with a message that there is no entry in fstab for sda1. I have looked to see if there were any files changed at that time which might lock the usb, and to see if there are any lock files left lying around, but could not find any.

Any suggestions ( other than putting the old hotplug package on )?

Edited by Timppl

Easiest, would be to create the fstab entry for it, something along the lines of this:

/dev/mmcblk0p1  /media/sdcard   auto	umask=0,rw,user,auto	0	   0

this is for an SD card with FAT filesystem, so you could adapt it something like this:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkey auto umask=0,rw,user,auto 0 0

of course, make sure the directory usbkey exists within /mnt:

mkdir /mnt/usbkey

or create whichever name of directory you prefer. Then, when you plug it in, it should mount automatically.

Does it use fstab? I'm puzzled, cos I have a USB stick that smoothly and automatically mounts to /mnt/removable (from sda1) but when I look at /etc/fstab there's no entry for it (whether the stick is mounted or not). Similarly I have a camera which is auto-mounted as a mass storage device via USB with no problems but there's no fstab entry for it either. It's so long since I messed with this I can't remember how it knows the stick is /mnt/removable! :huh:

I think a lot of it is udev based. I've never got involved enough into udev to figure out how it all is supposed to be mounting, etc.

I found it easier to use /etc/fstab for problematic devices. Those mainly being ones that gave me problems with permissions after they were mounted.

But no, normally it shouldn't use fstab :)

I tried adding sda1 to fstab and that worked, but I was hoping to solve the problem fully, rather than hiding it. Also ( and I haven't tested it because of lack of time ) I have a usb scanner + variuos cameras, and I dont know if an entry in fstab would affect these. Additionally, if for example a camera were mounted and I plugged in the usb stick, it would probably be sdb1 rather than sda1, so we would have the same problem

Tim