New Daylight Savings Time [solved]

banjo

tyme, the method in your link doesn't work with LE2005/mdv10.2. You have to do everything they say in the link plus add these steps:

# rm /etc/localtime
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/<insert your city timezone>  /etc/localtime

You have to do this for all earlier mandriva/mandrake systems as well as earlier RH based systems. In these systems, /etc/localtime is a binary instead of a link to the appropriate time zone info file. The above two steps remove the localtime binary and create the appropriate link.

tyme,

Thanks for that link. I will give it a try when I get home to my Mandriva box. If the fix works, then I don't have to lie to my computer and tell it that I live in Goose Bay Labrador :lol2:

Um....... apologies to anybody who actually does live in Goose Bay (I have been there... no fun)

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I just followed the procedure in the link and it appears to be a success (if zdump is correct).

I am running Mandriva 2006, and I had to link /etc/localtime as explained by pmpatrick:

# mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime-backup
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York  /etc/localtime

Then, when I check it, I get

[root@localhost etc]# zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 05:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:59:59 2007 EDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-14400
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 06:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:00:00 2007 EST isdst=0 gmtoff=-18000

We shall see this weekend what the system does.

Thanks to all.

Linux Rocks!

Banjo

(_)=='=~

So as long as all your work computers, and all the servers, and the computers of everyone you work with are all fully-updated linux systems, there can't be any problems!

I'm using Windows XP on my laptop now because of work and school. It is already set for this change. I did nothing more than have Automatic updates turned on. I did nothing consciously. I just tested by moving my clock forward till 1:59 tomorrow morning and it set.

• 11 months later...
well, the government is doing a study to see if this change saves any energy (based on the idea that more people use energy - light, etc. - in the evening than early in the morning), so I guess we'll find out if there's a point to it.

Well, the results of that study is finally out and the result? Yup, you're spending more $$$ on utilities because of the new DST changes. That's the government for you. :D