Problem: Mandriva 2007 Italian & English [solved]

Pluto

Hi all!

I'm Italian but my Mandriva is in english for the major part.

#1. Firefox is in english and if I try to select "Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Edit languages" I see only "Italian - it". If I select it nothing changes.

#2. I have "Applications -> Sistema -> Configurazione -> Configure your computer". Sistema&Configurazione are in Italian for example.

#3. If I go to "Configure your computer -> System -> Select the language..." and I select "Italy", I see "The change is done, but to be effective you must logout". I do it and nothing changes.

#4. If I have right-click with mouse I have "undo, cut, copy, paste...." but I would it in Italian.

I hope you can help me 'cause on the italian Mandriva forum no one helped me. I use Gnome instead of KDE and if you need further nfo let me know.

:wall:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

[moved from Software by spinynorman]
??? Looks like software to me...

Have you checked to see if you have the rpm for Italian Firefox? It should be called mozilla-firefox-it-1.5.0.7-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm and is around 150 k big.

If you're not sure, you can look in the "add software" gui to see if the package has a green tick, or you can try from the command line

rpm -qa | grep -i firefox

I'm guessing that you have the basic install of Firefox with the English texts, but without this extra "it" package, it won't be able to find the Italian texts.

If you haven't got this package installed, then you can add it, either from the "add software" gui or from the command line using urpmi.

If I go to "Configure your computer -> System -> Select the language..." and I select "Italy", I see "The change is done, but to be effective you must logout". I do it and nothing changes.

<<<snip>>>

I use Gnome instead of KDE

You can try installing kde-i18n-it and using those fonts with Gnome (I'm guessing this works, I've never tried it).

Pluto: some of what you're experiencing may be the result of Mandriva not doing "full" translations, it seems. Certain menu items appear not to have language settings - at least not for Italian. It might be better if we could find out if there are any others using Italian language settings, and seeing if their menu items also appear partially-translated. Unfortunately I don't know anyone off the top of my head :unsure:

However, you should be able to get Firefox in Italian, by searching as neddie suggests. Installing kde-i18n-it, however, will not help, as it's not a font issue that you're running into (and KDE packages won't fix GNOME :P).

Hi!

First I want to say sorry for my post, I posted it in the wrong section. Second, I want to thank all answered me. I have full support here than the italian Mandriva forum.

Talking about the problem, I have several times tried "urpmi firefox" but I can't have Firefox 2 and I have always it in English. There's no way to download ie. Italian language for Gnome? Or can I turn into KDE from Gnome? Could I solve my problems in this way? I really would enjoy my Mandriva full in Italian...

instead of arguing semantics, perhaps we would better serve to help the user with his question? hm? ;)

Pluto: I'm sorry, I don't have too much experience with language packs. :unsure:

Pluto, don't worry about posting in the wrong section, we all do it at times. I've had mine moved more than once. :P I think the biggest problem you're having is what tyme said, not everything is translated into Italian. I always choose English, but my boys choose Italian, but there is still some things written in English in their applications.

With Firefox, did you download it off the Italian or English site?

Kieth

Pluto, don't worry about posting in the wrong section, we all do it at times. I've had mine moved more than once. :P I think the biggest problem you're having is what tyme said, not everything is translated into Italian. I always choose English, but my boys choose Italian, but there is still some things written in English in their applications.

With Firefox, did you download it off the Italian or English site?

Kieth

Hi Kieth! So you can confirm me that there isn't full Italian translation for Mandriva 2007?

About Firefox, I didn't understand nothing at all. Here's some command resulst:

# rpm -qa | grep -i firefox

libmozilla-firefox1.5.0.10-1.5.0.10-2mdv2007.0

mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.10-2mdv2007.0

libmozilla-firefox1.5.0.7-1.5.0.7-1mdv2007.0

mozilla-firefox-it-1.5.0.10-1mdv2007.0

# urpmi mozilla-firefox-it-1.5.0.7-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

unable to access rpm file [mozilla-firefox-it-1.5.0.7-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm]

error registering local packages

# urpmi mozilla-firefox-it

The package(s) are already installed

but if I choose Italian language from "Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Languages" and if I close Firefox and re-open it, it's still in English.

:unsure:

I get a feeling it's running the english version of Firefox, you might need to remove this package:

mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.10-2mdv2007.0

so:

urpme mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.10-2mdv2007.0

and see if that helps. It could be you have both English and Italian versions of Firefox installed, and it's confused and doesn't know which one to run, which is why you always get the English one. Maybe, I don't know, as I've not tested this, but a possibility.

:o

I don't think that completely removing firefox will help the problem, Ian!! :o

I would try going to this page: http://www.mozillaitalia.it/archive/index.html and under where it says "Mozilla Firefox in italiano" clicking the link "Langpack Multipiattaforma" for Firefox 1.5.0.10. This will get the xpi file from mozilla (which seems to just have the contents of the "it" rpm) and install it. Maybe that will do something that just installing the rpm didn't.

I don't quite understand it either, but it seems that when you set the language to Italian, you only set the language for the web pages, not the language of the menus, toolbars etc. Maybe some of our non-English speakers can help clear this up?

Hi all!

Solved a bit of problems:

#1: now mozilla is in Italian. I downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.2, with urpme I removed Firefox 1.5.0 and installed the new Firefox. But now I can't find where is this new Firefox 'cause on "Applications -> Internet -> Navigatori web" there's only Ephifany. But, if from root I type "cd /home/USER/Desktop/firefox" and type "./firefox" Firefox in Italian is on.

#2: I did a log-out from the session and, in the log-in, I saw an option about changing language in Gnome. I choosed Italian and now more thing are in Italian on Mandriva. Terminal is still in English, like "Application - Places - System" but at the right-clic with mouse I see "Annulla - Taglia - Copia...", that is Italian.

So the big problem now is: where's Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.2? How can I start it without Terminal? :unsure:

You would have to create an icon for this to launch it, since you've manually installed it to your desktop in /home/USER/Desktop/firefox.

You could move this directory from the desktop to somewhere safer, or create the shortcut for it.

Manually downloading and installing Firefox, doesn't create the icon for you. This too is a manual process. You can right click the desktop to create a new application launcher.

YEEEEEAH!

Problem with Mozilla: status SOLVED.

With "urpme" I uninstalled the previous version, downloaded the last version and now it's working fine in Italian.

Problem with English/Italian: NEAR TO BE SOLVED.

I think at this time that Mandriva 2007 isn't fully traslated into Italian but I have to tell I'm very happy that is working fine. Of course I'll wait for your advices about it.

One more time I have to thank all the users that used their time to help me. :P