Software installation method - opinions?

mandri

You are logged in as root. VERY bad, one should never run as root.

Rest assured I never run as root.I did mention entering the root password.

I agree that the ease of double clicking can possibly be too easy,but the root password is still needed.Someone who really didn't know the CL would have no problem with double clicking and entering a password,so I do see your reasoning.

If the system didn't know anything about rpm packages, then it wouldn't have installed it or done anything with it

So now,in the case of Mandriva,the "system knows what to do with the .rpm file".

But,if using another distro,pclos for example,and the system didn't know what to do with the .rpm,how would you associate double clicking a .rpm file with the command as root rpm -iv ?

I tried creating a link to application,run in terminal ,the command being rpm -iv,but that only opens a terminal,with no rpm to be installed,and has nothing to do with double clicking.

Eventually I'll figure this out,but advice certainly is welcome.

madri said:

I did mention entering the root password. (I did not need to go to a command line,su to root,and install it as I expected I would.)

I got that part...

I did have to enter the root password...

...but I missed that part. Sorry, I really gotta be more careful when I read.

Your idea of having a terminal open with "rpm -iv" will not work. The terminal must have root priviledges, and you must be in the directory where the rpm to be installed is located. So the full sequence to install would be:

$ su

Password: (enter root password)

# cd /mysavedrpm/ishere

# rpm -ivh <full.packagename.rpm>

Be aware that the old basic rpm commands do nothing to download and satisfy dependencies like urpmi or apt-get do. Unlike those (and other) more advanced systems, basic rpm leaves that up to you.

And, as you said, none of this has anything to do with double-clicking on a file to install.

While we're talking about double-clicking on a file to install software, I see questions like this all the time but I guess I just don't see the point. Why try to emulate Windoze? Does Linux have to work just like Windows to be "correct" for windows converts? I think the biggest mistake new users make (I know I did) is expecting Linux to work in the same ways Windows does, particularly software installation. Fortunately, Linux does not. It's OK, even better, to be different from M$. Anyway, software installation in Linux is very easy using various distro's software management systems or even from the CLI as above.

While we're talking about double-clicking on a file to install software, I see questions like this all the time but I guess I just don't see the point. Why try to emulate Windoze?

I understand your concern about using the rpm -iv command rather than urpmi.And I agree.

I also understand your questioning of why make linux look like windows aka:double clicking to install a app.

I dislike windows with a passion,and the last thing I want to do is make linux look like windows.

I was first intrigued when discovering that in Mandriva I can double click a rpm file to install a rpm.

I haven't seen this before,or haven't noticed,not sure which, in any other distro.

More so than really wanting to double click a rpm to install,I am trying to understand what makes double clicking work.Is it a script?Is it part of the programming language?

As I mentioned beforehand,I noticed that the same exact rpm file in Pclos,does not install when double clicking on it.But in Mandriva,it does.Why?

I'd like to change the subject to something that is not as controversial as double clicking a rpm file to install.

But the end results should lead to the same basic understanding of double clicking.

I have a partition on hdb1.It is not mounted automatically at boot,(it is not even listed in fstab),but still,I have created a folder in /mnt,and named it hdb1.

I created a link to application,the command as: kdesu mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1

Now,"double clicking" the link I created will prompt me for the root password(same as double clicking the rpm file),then mounts the partition hdb1.

Sure,I can list /dev/hdb1 in fstab,and save a lot of trouble,but that's not the point.I am only saying that double clicking does not necessarily have to simulate windows,and can find purpose in linux as well.

That is a simple link,that needs to be double clicked.

I am trying to understand how to get a linux operating system to recognize a rpm file as a link to application(Mandriva already does),that needs to be "double clicked",which would prompt me for the root password,then issue the command, rpm -iv.

Somehow,and this is where I am very lost,Mandriva not only recognizes the rpm file as a link to application,but also discovers where the rpm file is located.It doesn't matter if the rpm file is in my /home folder,or if the rpm file is sitting on my desktop.Double clicking on the file will install it,once the root password is entered.

and you must be in the directory where the rpm to be installed is located

So,not only do I have to understand how the rpm file is recognized as a link to application,I need to understand how does Mandriva "discover" where the file is located.

Sorry about the lengthy post,but I felt it is necessary to explain my reasoning behind "How to double click a rpm file to install?".

It is not so much that I need the ability to double click a rpm file to install,as it is understanding the concept of how to create that ability.Thanks to all who took the time to read this entire post.

mod:Being that this thread has been marked solved,should I continue posting here, being that it is the same subject,or start a new thread if needed?

Edited by mandri

2. It installed in your home directory. This is fine, kinda sorta, but could be bad because:

b. Because if you are not running as root, your security settings should not allow running executables from your home directory without prompting for a root password.

Not quite. It's pretty much standard for users to be allowed to run executables from wherever they are able to store files. If you can make files, you can execute files. I run my window manager from ~/projects/dwm/dwm as I frequently update the snapshot I use. I made a ~/bin directory for useful scripts, although I could install and run an executable anywhere in my home directory, or any other directory I have write access.

The difference is, the executables are only run with the privileges of the user who ran them. So if an exploit were found in firefox for example, it could wipe your home directory contents, though would not have enough permissions to affect the system.

The reason why viruses are not common, is GNU/Linux systems are a more difficult target to attack, for a range of reasons, including variances between distro's, it's a true multiuser permission operating system, and many distros already have very solid security practices out of the box that Microsoft is catching up on now.

James

In Mandriva, double-clicking the rpm file is roughly the same as running the rpm command from the command line. This is controlled by the file association settings in KDE - as Ian says it's just like double-clicking on an open office document and the system knowing that that type of file is associated with that action. To look at the file associations (assuming that you're using KDE) go in the start menu under System - Configuration - KDE - KDE Components - File Associations where they're all listed. According to that, rpms are associated with a special mandriva application called mandriva-gurpmi which is a "Graphical front end to install RPM files".

Generally speaking, wherever possible you should use the normal urpmi (or 'add sofrware') tools which will calculate dependencies for you. Only for these proprietary programs which aren't available via urpmi should you need to manually download and double-click (or rpm from the command line) the rpm files.

rpms are associated with a special mandriva application called mandriva-gurpmi which is a "Graphical front end to install RPM files".

Thank you.According to what I see there,all it says is "software installer",which didn't tell me much.

Would kpackage work equally as well?