9.1 is absolutely FLYING

AA

1. 1. 9.1

• yay
    • nay

I am very impressed with the speed and performance improvements with 9.1

I've tried a couple of distros and this one kicks ASS. well of distros with precompiled kernels that is...

what are your opinions...???

The installer sux though!!!

Yep, so far so good. I experienced one very odd lockup, but that has been it. (one lockup doesn't count in my books)

Mandrake - "Where do you want to fly today"

I think it fits. Hope I don't get sued by M$ for using their original, unused XP slogan, hehe.

My only problem was with the "upgrade" feature. It took forever! And not everything worked the same after. It took an hour longer (after the hour to upgrade) to get everything running like I had it. So just as a test I tried the "install" and I had everything up and the same in about half the time.

Still have the same old IDE speed problems and supermount is still the same. I still use it but I can't see any improvement in it.

Though, on the whole; the system and KDE specificly seem to be faster.

Haven't tried the ntfs resizing yet but thats on the other test system in the corner. Something for next week.

I'm doing an install page on my site (really had to go to bed yesterday, so couldn't finish), and also a configuration page, that can give insight about things that might be necessary to do after an install.

Basically, installed on 2 machines, my own ran perfectly, 1600x1200 res @ 85 Hz with gf4ti4200 with nv driver, nice if you don't have 21 inches of screen flickering into your face @ 60Hz while you build the nvidia driver...

Only had to add some proprietary stuff (not finished yet, java, flash etc still to be added), nvidia and webcam ...

Any hints on how to easily add java, flash, real (for web), with urpmi or so?

On a second machine, during the install I had to run through the graphics setup, but managed (gf2mx, picked generic gf2), then installed nvidia driver, no problem.

Setup the network so I can print to the laser printer connected to the other machine, and the other machine can print to my colour inkjet. Little fiddling (had to add address + hostname of other machine to /etc/hosts, something I don't think is easy for newbies..) and with the cups www printing stuff everything was good to go.

This install was the easiest, leaving the least to me to configure.

Most that I configured myself would be too difficult for some people, but then they would not have a properly functioning computer no matter what OS they install.

As far as I can tell, for a 1 hour install, this was one of the most rewarding OSes I ever put on. (Comparing with older Mandrakes, RH8, Easylinux, Corellinux, various windows flavours...)

My girlfriend was really happy with her new machine, liked the way things look.

And I forgot to mention I put a new password for her, it's quite funny what happens with mdkkdm (I first thought the screen was degaussing)....

BTW if anyone manages to get fanspeed readings with lm_sensors on A7V333 please let me know! I get temps ok, just no fanspeed.

That must be the only thing that I don't have under linux that I can have under win (if I actually boot to win, which I haven't done since, hmmm sometime late last year..?).

install went very smoothly and the fonts are a great improvement. some mess with open office, but I installed StarOffice from my 9.0 powerpack without a problem. No great speed improvements that I can see and KDE still takes forever to load. I have a Debian partition with 3.1.1 that seems to be quicker.

I had trouble with the 9.1 fonts, which all looked really ugly and couldn't load msfonts no matter what I tried. As a last desperate act before going back to 9.0, I reinstalled 9.1 and everything was OK

KDE seems to load faster at startup and generally looks better to me

Guest Adriano

It works really well with my Pentium 2! WOOOT!

My X setup has never been this stable or snappy... I Love this. Fonts are great.

Only question: Mandrake documentation isn't included in the download edition (got the 3 cds) or I'm so stupid I can't find them? I found this really strange, especially after the great manuals included in 8.2...