Can't access external http

lorisarvendu

I've done something to my mandriva 2007 box and I don't know what. I only really use it as a file server, but I VNC to a kde desktop and occasionally run things. First thing I noticed was that browsers could no longer access external web pages (though they can access the internal web server).

There's no error, just a "waiting for...." at the bottom of the page. All other protocols work fine, because I can access the box through ssh & vnc remotely.

It's not browser specific because it happens with Opera, Mozilla, and Lynx (which sticks at "HTTP request sent; waiting for response")

I've had a linux guy from work on the case & he says it's not iptables because we've turned them off and it still happens.

I've changed mandriva's local IP address, and the other two PCs on the box are fine.

I've run wireshark and done a test attempt to connect to www.yahoo.com, and apparantly I get 3 Acks, then I sent a GET /HTTP/ and nothing comes back. I've saved the TCPdump if anyone knows how to read it!

I connect through a modem/router, and I have some port forwarding going on, but only for two ports for ssh and vnc, and they've always been there.

Can anyone help?

I'm not fantastically hot on commmand line, but I know my way around the file system & I can locate & view files.

cheers

Dave

First of all, check that the browser hasn't been configured to access a proxy. It could be this that's stopping it, if the proxy isn't accessible for some reason.

Other reasons are IPV6. You can check and disable in Firefox, by typing about:config in the url bar. Filter by ipv6 and make sure this is disabled, by setting to true.

If it's working with Firefox, and not working with anything else, it might require full system-wide disabling of ipv6. To do this, edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add:

alias net-pf-10 off

and see what happens after that.

It's working now, but how strange. I thought I'd tried everything. Even changing the ip address on the box, and altering port forwarding on the router. The one thing I never managed to do was...restart the router.

It's working now that the router's been rebooted (even though the Windows workstations on the same router never had a problem at all). Guess I'll just have to put it down to one of those things.

If it happens again, check:

ifconfig -a

to see if you got an IP address, and:

route -n

to make sure you got a default router, else you won't get out to the internet. And:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

to make sure you got a server to resolve DNS against. Could have been something to do with this maybe. But strange that rebooting the router seemed to solve it, and not rebooting the machine.

• 4 weeks later...