Show off your desktop March 2007

ianw1974

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debian doesn't have beryl in the repo's, so didn't want to compile anything. I'm using compiz.

I think beryl might appear in the unstable repo's sometime, but not as of yet :)

Hmmm Debian, I might try that someday.

Do they already include a less 'scary' installer? ... and less than 5 CD's to install it? I remember last time I tried it, couple of years ago, but I never succeeded in getting it up and running.

Debian doesn't have beryl in the repo's, so didn't want to compile anything. I'm using compiz.

I think beryl might appear in the unstable repo's sometime, but not as of yet :)

Edited by Darkelve

Hmmm Debian, I might try that someday.

Do they already include a less 'scary' installer? ... and less than 5 CD's to install it? I remember last time I tried it, couple of years ago, but I never succeeded in getting it up and running.

There is already a graphical installer available, however it is not yet considered 100% stable (one reason why etch ain't available already officially). The other installer is the ncurses based installer that was/is also use by Ubuntu. It ain't hard to install.

Just like Ian said: Grab a netinstall CD (some 150 MB), select the mirror from the list offered and install. After roughly 1-2 hours (depending on connection), you get a complete Desktop-system installed.

Hi!

I am back after a lottle while, I was busy tweaking with my tungsten T3 runnning gpe (linux), then I bought a zaurus sl-5500+wifi from ebay so here is a piccie of both my desktops for this month!

On it we have England-France on Kaffeine (DVB) (TNT for Frenchies...) and on the right is my VNC connection to the zaurus (kernel 2.4.18. qtopia 1.5.0, opera 6.0...). it a real gem, I can control my Linux box from my garden, I am working on an attachment (craddle-like) of the zaurus onto me lawn mower...

I like very much the piccie from cybermoron so I coppied and put a side bar with mini applets on it.

I run Beryl since a couple of month now, I could nt do without, It is NOT an eye candy only, it really helps me to juggle between applications.

Stef :D

Hi!

I am back after a lottle while, I was busy tweaking with my tungsten T3 runnning gpe (linux), then I bought a zaurus sl-5500+wifi from ebay so here is a piccie of both my desktops for this month!

On it we have England-France on Kaffeine (DVB) (TNT for Frenchies...) and on the right is my VNC connection to the zaurus (kernel 2.4.18. qtopia 1.5.0, opera 6.0...). it a real gem, I can control my Linux box from my garden, I am working on an attachment (craddle-like) of the zaurus onto me lawn mower...

I like very much the piccie from cybermoron so I coppied and put a side bar with mini applets on it.

I run Beryl since a couple of month now, I could nt do without, It is NOT an eye candy only, it really helps me to juggle between applications.

Stef :D

Whoa! big icons or small screen? 10" ? :P

beryl > compiz. in beryl you can change back and forth between using beryl as the window manager and using metacity or kwin (depending on your DE of choice). Can be very useful when some apps don't play nicely.