PHP for application/software development

Hi,

I was wondering whether PHP being a server side and kind of scripting languages, can be or being used for application/software development just like any other regular programming languages such as c/c++ or java. As far as I understand it is meant for web use only and thus can only be interpreted and used with a web browser. Is it possible to create programs/application with PHP that just can work as any other desktop programs and can be installed as well without involving the browser at all? I am not much aware of PHP's real capabilities so hopefully some senior PHP programmers can help me here. Thanks.

See What can PHP do?

PHP is probably not the very best language to create a desktop application with a graphical user interface, but if you know PHP very well, and would like to use some advanced PHP features in your client-side applications you can also use PHP-GTK to write such programs. You also have the ability to write cross-platform applications this way.