Problem: Sitecom WL-170 Wireless [solved]

Pluto

Hi all!

I'm new on this forum and I hope I can solve my Mandriva problems with your help. I really would enjoy my Mandriva 2006 but I have a big Internet problem. I've a Sitecom WL-170 PCMCIA card and I can't make it working on my laptop. I tried "ndiswrapper", several guides but the "Activity" led in on but "Link" led is off. Plus, searching I did find nothing about compatibility of this card with Mandriva. I hope you have good ideas for me...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pluto

You need to find the linux drivers for Ralink chips, which is what your card uses. I think they have an active linux development.

Hi Ixthusdan, thanks for your reply! How can I find my card's chip on Mandriva? And after I found these drivers, I have to use ndiswrapper?

Thanks again! ;)

Upon further research, Sitecom says they are using a Marvell chip on that card. (Welcome to WiFi) I cannot find any reference, of course, to which Marvell chip they are using. Google does not find your specific card mentioned, wl-170. But, Marvell chips do redpond to ndiswrapper. When I have time later, I'll walk you through compiling the latest ndiswrapper and then seeing if your chip will respond. Do you dual boot?

Upon further research, Sitecom says they are using a Marvell chip on that card. (Welcome to WiFi) I cannot find any reference, of course, to which Marvell chip they are using. Google does not find your specific card mentioned, wl-170. But, Marvell chips do redpond to ndiswrapper. When I have time later, I'll walk you through compiling the latest ndiswrapper and then seeing if your chip will respond. Do you dual boot?

First of all, thanks for your time. I'll wait for your help in compiling ndiswrapper. About "dual boot", you mean I have Win and Mandriva on same notebook? If you mean this the answer is yes, I have an 20GB hard disk: 15G for Win and 5G for Mandriva.

I'll wait for your help, at this time you're the one is helping me... :D

Hi Pluto, welcome to the MUB

I'm sorry if it appears that not many members are helping. I've searched for your card, and it would appear that noone has used it and/or documented it's use with Linux yet.

Here are some list for your reference:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php?

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...ndex.php/List#S

If you would like to take a look (until lxthusdan has time to help you) at the latest stable ndiswrapper, it's here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93482

The instructions are here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...hp/Installation

Do you have a link for the drivers your trying to use now? If I can find some time later tonight, I'll take a look.

Hi Greg2, thanks a lot for your warm welcome! I'm Italian and I feel at home here more than other Mandriva's italian forum. I installed without problems "ndiswrapper" and, for what I understood, Sitecom WL-170 uses a Rt61 driver. I downloaded it from here http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html and I installed it but the card doesn't connect to the network. I see my network but I receive "Unable to contac the daemon".

I'm really newbie to Mandriva 2006 but I would use it. I hope you can help me.

I'll try to do something and I'll be here in a while. Thanks again for all! :D

I installed without problems "ndiswrapper" and, for what I understood, Sitecom WL-170 uses a Rt61 driver. I downloaded it from here http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

I've checked the data sheet: WL-170; Your card has a Marvell chipset, as lxthusdan has already noted.

What drivers were you trying to use with ndiswrapper? You must use the Windows drivers with ndiswrapper. :)

I've checked the data sheet: WL-170; Your card has a Marvell chipset, as lxthusdan has already noted.

What drivers were you trying to use with ndiswrapper? You must use the Windows drivers with ndiswrapper. :)

Yes, with ndiswrapper I used the driver on installation cd of this Sitecom card but nothing worked. At this time I can see this:

# ndiswrapper -l

pcmcia : driver installed

device (1217:6972) present

rt2500 : driver installed

rt61 : driver installed

device (1814:0301) present (alternate driver: rt61)

# dmesg

RT61: Vendor = 0x1814, Product = 0x0301

Plus, before I touched PCMCIA driver, "Activity" led was on and I was able to see my network. Now, "Activity" led is off as the "Link" led. The card seems dead on Mandriva and I don't know what to do. :wall:

Fresh news:

#1: I have re-installed Mandriva, now I can see the network but I can't still connect.

#2: The "unable to contac the daemon" doesn't appear more.

#3: ndiswrapper is installed and works (I have installed Rt61.INF but this driver doesn't work as I understand).

I'm always hoping of your help...

(I have installed Rt61.INF but this driver doesn't work as I understand).

What makes you think (where did you read) that's the driver for your card? I don't think that's the driver for you?

What drivers work with your card using Windows? :huh:

What makes you think (where did you read) that's the driver for your card? I don't think that's the driver for you?

What drivers work with your card using Windows? :huh:

In Windows the driver is: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\rt61.sys and my card works perfectly. So in Mandriva I used ndiswrapper with the rt61.INF that is on card's installation cd. I thought it worked but instead no. :wall:

You need to use a newer version if ndiswrapper. Since there are none in the Mandriva rpms, we can compile it and install it on your machine. Just to note, you must have only one driver installed at a time. In a console, and as the root user, type "ndiswrapper -r [driver name]" for each driver that does not work. Put the driver name in the brackets, and do not use the brackets! The driver which ndiswrapper reports as "driver present" is the one to keep. It appears to be the rt61 driver. You could try this first to see if the current ndiswrapper will work. But I had to compile it in order to use it in a 64 bit system.

Go to this site and download the 1.38 sources.

Next, in a console as root, type "urpme ndiswrapper" , This removes the current software.

Then as a regular user, go to the download of ndiswrapper-1.38.tar.gz and type "tar -xjf ndiswrapper-1.38.tar.gz" . This will create a folder with a bunch of stuff in it.

Next, as root in a console, type "urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.11mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm"

Then, navigate into the directory created by unpacking the ndiswrapper tarball. In that directory, in a console, type "make install".

Next, type "modprobe -a" and then "modprobe ndiswrapper"

Next type "ndiswrapper -i filename.INF" where the inf is found in your windows directory.

Then, type "ndiswrapper -l" to see if the all is well.

Then type "iwconfig". Look for an ESSID or an access point to associate with. When you see it, type "iwconfig wlan0 essid NAME" and see if the lights come to life.

In Windows the driver is: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\rt61.sys and my card works perfectly. So in Mandriva I used ndiswrapper with the rt61.INF that is on card's installation cd. I thought it worked but instead no. :wall:

OK, I though that was a driver that you d/l from another source, sorry for the confusion. :rolleyes:

Place the rt61.sys in the same directory that you have the rt61.inf and try ndiswrapper again please.

I'm too slow... lxthusdan has arrived to help you now :)