Proxy Problem

Peter_APIIT

Few days ago, i installed Mandriva Linux 2007 Powerpack in my computer. I have set up a proxy server which the http address is http://nicholas_tse_proxt_server:1010 and ftp://nicholas_tse_proxy_server:1010 .

AFter the installation, i configure the web browser which is konqueror to connect the internet through the above mentioned proxy but it cannot display any web page. It just display

It's Works

I want using the same computer to act as proxy server and simulatenouly i also want to browse any webpage through the same machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks for your help.

Hope GOD will blessed you all.

By the way, the icon at bottow of the taskbar at left hand side should display ppoe, not etho if i can browse.

I am newbie to Linux and computer also. Please forgive my stupidness.

It works normally means you set up a http server, like apache on your system. If you're using squid as your proxy, the default port is normally 3128, of course, perhaps you changed this, so, let's get a list of all ports:

netstat -tan

and post the results so we can see.

i using squid as my proxy server. I will try to typed this command and i will post the results later.

Thanks ianw1974.

You are a great persons which i ever seen before.

By the way, before going to solved this problem. I cannot login to X environemnt. Please check my post under Graphics problem.

Thanks

Your help is greatly appreciated by me.

Below is my result after typed the netstat -tan. I don't know what the purposes of typing netstat -tan ?

Active Internet Connections(Servers and established)

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2273 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10026 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.:110 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.:3128 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0.:* Listen

tcp 0 0 0 :::22 :::* Listen

tvp 0 0 0 :::631 :::* Listen

All of the results, i have posted here.

If you needs more information, please let me know.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Hope GOD will blessed you.

OK, you should just need to configure your browser settings for the IP of the squid machine and port 3128.

After this it should work, if not, then it could be access rules within squid or something. I normally do this in Mandriva:

urpmi drakwizard

then go into System/Configuration/Configure My Computer, also known as mcc. Then give the root password when prompted.

Under one of the options is an option for configured a squid proxy server, just follow the instructions given, and set up the proxy, and that should fix any access rule problems.

netstat tells you what ports are listening for requests on your machine, so it's a good way to see if squid is running or not. If port 3128 wasn't there, then squid service was probably stopped.

I have did it follow your instructions to adjust the browser setting which set the port to 3128 but unfortunately this is not working.

Besides that, i also try to install the drakwizard. After the installation, i follow the instructions there but the wizard displays an error message which is

" You need to readjust your hsotname. "localhost" is not a correct hostanme for a DNS server. Host name must be a FQDN : Full Qualified Domain Name.

I not set up DNS. Why it say must have FQDN ?

Sorry for my broken english.

Thanks for your help. Your are a great guys. I don't know how to thank you for your help.

By the way, if you feel that i asking stupid question, please let me know. Please forgive my stupidness.

I am a stupid guys in the world.

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

www.linuxquestions.org

Apache/2.2.3 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-1mdv2007.0)

I get this error also. I don't know what is it.

You probably didn't give your system a hostname when you set it up. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network, and in here is a line probably something like:

HOSTNAME=localhost

change this so that it's something like:

mymachine.mydomain

or my example:

esprit.linuxsolutions.org

for example. Then, you can do it manually from the prompt without rebooting by typing:

hostname esprit.linuxsolutions.org

and then editing /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 esprit.linuxsolutions.org esprit

that's how mine are as an example, so set yours accordingly however you want with your own machine name and domain name. It doesn't matter if you don't own the domain name, because your machine isn't on the internet. It's just ficticious, so whatever you want.

Then rerun the wizard for the proxy.

I did it according your instruction. Unfortunately, the browser display an error message which is unknown proxy host. By the way, i checked my host name and the host name is not changed even though i typed

host name (the name i want)

but in the /etc/hosts file, it display my host name correctly. I don't know what happen is it. In terminal, it still display localhost after reboot or log of. I think i need to configure something at initrd. Is it true ? I just guess.

Your help is greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks iawn1974.

A billion thanks to you. Hope GOD will blessed you.

I have checked this file /etc/sysconfig/network but this file only contain one line which is NETWORKING=yes.

I don't know whether this information will help but i just post it for additional information.

Edited by Peter_APIIT

If it only contains networking, then add the hostname line. After doing this, reboot your computer and try configuring squid again.

No, you don't need to do anything with initrd.

How to add the host name in file /etc/sysconfig/network ?

I am a stupid guy. Please forgive my stupidness.

Why does't needs to add the host name in the file initrd ? Your explanation is greatly appreciated by me .

Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.

I very admired you. You are my GOD in my heart.

I won't forget your forever.

You just don't need to anything with initrd, at all!

Edit the file by doing this:

su (enter root password when prompted)
kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network

it will open in X, and then you can edit this file, and save it. If you don't have X, or X is not working, then do this instead:

nano -w /etc/sysconfig/network

edit the file by adding the line I mentioned before, and save by pressing CTRL-X together and then Y when prompted to save.

If nano isn't installed, do:

urpmi nano

to install it.

I have did according what you tell me. I have edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network. I added this line HOSTNAME=nicholastse.org to that file. Unfortunately, the browser complaint that unknown proxy host - . Is it have to register a domain first before it can set up a proxy server ? If not, then why is so many problem to set up a proxy server.

Below is my /etc/sysconfig /network configuration file

NETWORKING=yes

HOSTNAME=nicholastse.org

Please help in this issue.

I know you are a great guy.

Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.

I using konqueror as my web browser. I have changed the settings which is manually specify the proxy settings and automatic detect proxy settings. When i changed it to automatic, it displayed an error message which is could not find a usable proxy configuration script.

I hope this will help. If you need more information, please let me know.

You just put the end of a domain name in there. From my example, my hostname for my machine is esprit. My domain name is linuxsolutions.org, therefore it becomes esprit.linuxsolutions.org.

Edit your /etc/hosts file, so that it has this:

127.0.0.1 esprit.linuxsolutions.org esprit

it also has to be resolvable by the hosts file. I forgot about that before. So, after that, reconfigure squid.

My /etc/hosts file is as below:

127.0.0.1 nicholastse.org

I want to put my domain name as APIIT.edu.my. Please help in this. I really is a stupid guy. Therefore, please forgive my stupidness.

Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others who view this post.

I hope that linux will become the no 1 choice among the computer consumers.

Besides that, i also hope that GOD will blessed you.