Memory error during install

Guest MikeF

I've installed Mandriva several times before (most recently M2006). I decided to try 2007 as well as a couple of other distros. I downloaded 2007 and burned the four disks. When I went to install it, after the package selection, shortly after the start of package install, the installation halts with a very friendly error box telling me that something is wrong with memory and the install is aborting. I didn't write the exact error box down (sorry), but I got tired of seeing it after three tries. I'm trying to triple boot windows 98 on hda1 and Mandriva and Xandros on hdb, on any of 3 partitions (2, 3 or 5; primary, logical, logical). I have Xandros on hdb2 now and it actually recognizes the last, incomplete install of Mandriva on hdb3. Since it's on a separate drive, Windows 98 boots OK.

Any ideas what the error is, how to get around it?

Many thanks

If it's giving you a memory error, I would first do one of two things. First, go into the BIOS and choose Load Optimised Defaults. Second, you need to run memtest to make sure that the memory isn't faulty.

If it's giving you a memory error, I would first do one of two things. First, go into the BIOS and choose Load Optimised Defaults. Second, you need to run memtest to make sure that the memory isn't faulty.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure the memory is OK -- everything else including Xandros runs just fine. However, I'll try the Optimized Defaults on the mobo. Is this something new to Mandriva 2007? I had 2006 running OK with my current settings.

Not entirely sure, 2006 worked much better on one of my home systems that's five years old. But now it doesn't shut down with acpi, so I usually have to power it off manually, because it just resets and wants to start again.

Most likely something kernel related, you could try a newer kernel from the easyurpmi repositories.

I would agree with that. As far back as Mandrake 6.0, I found out that Mandrake would access

a bad hard drive, but it wouldn't tolerate faulty memory. If there is anything wrong with the

memory then it will refuse to install. M$ won't help you diagnose a problem like this, Windows

is oblivious to bad memory. B)

Edited by taupist