How to install mandriva 2007 on core duo system

farhad

I am a new linux user. I have just downloaded mandriva 2007, i tried to install it but it give this message

-sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Can anybody help me

I have the following hardware on my system

Processor Intel pentium D 2.66

Main Board Intel 965 (DG965RY)

Ram 512 533 Mhz

Hard drive WD sata 80 GB

Sound Card Creative Audigy Value

TV Tuner Pixel View Play TV pro

DVD ROM Asus

DVD Burner Sony DVD RW

I have Windows XP Pro installed on my system, and was trying to install mandriva as a second OS

Can anybody help me out with my problem

Waiting for a reply

Edited by farhad

You might have to go into the BIOS and disable the second core so that you can install it. That's what I had to do on my Toshiba laptop.

Then, you need at least a 2.6.18 kernel afterwards, so reboot normally after install, add the easyurpmi repositories using the link at the top of this page. Then install kernel-linus-latest by:

urpmi kernel-linus-latest

and then reboot, enable the core again, and boot with the new kernel.

I disabled the 2nd core, but still have the same error. I thought there might be some problem with my bootable CD, but it works fine on my older PIII system.

I am totally new with Linux, so if can kindly guide me in a bit detail.

By the way thanks for the tip! highly appreciated

now you know its interesting.

ive seen folks with these problems in a LOT of different distros and so naturally i was concerned when i recently upgraded my main linux box to a DC 3.4GHZ system, and yet my xandros 4 loaded perfectly and is SIGNIFICANTLY fsater on the daY TO DAY THINGS.

then LAST NIGHT i WENT TO TEST A CD FOR A FRIEND AND ACCIDENTALLY INSTALLED mATISSE FOR gnome AND IT LOADED WITHOUT A blink!

i'M HAPPY

Just try another distribution.

PCLInuxOS, Zenwalk, Sabayon, Arch, Ubuntu Feisty, Fedora Core 6... just not what you have there.

Mandriva 2007 is a no-go for i965 based mainboards, as well as most fairly modern hardware.

Thanks for the reply.

One favor please!!!!!!!!!!

I am totally new with linux. What OS will you suggest me. I need the following features in the OS

MS office comparable (like MS Word power point excel)

Dvd playback Mp3 playback

DVD/CD Burning software

Photo editing.

Browser

Download handling software

Antivirus + firewall

i.e. simple stuff (but stable OS not like XP. i hate to press the combo of Ctrl+Alt+Del).

Any suggestion, plus off course i have Intel 965 mainboard+ Intel pentium D processor (core duo), so the OS should support it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking forward to your reply.

If you're not having much luck with Mandy, maybe try Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Ubuntu is Gnome based, and Kubuntu is KDE based. Depends on your preference.

Each is just one single CD for either, and you can test it out in Live CD form first to see if it works. Then install later. If the kernel in Ubuntu is too old for your machine, then choose Fedora Core 6 instead. It runs 2.6.18 or higher, so should be much better if Ubuntu is a problem.

I'd try Ubuntu first, mainly because Fedora packages change regular, so if you apply updates a lot, you'll be downloading lots of new apps. Mainly because Fedora is testing new technologies, etc, for Red Hat.

Ubuntu will have updates, but not too many in one go.

The stable version of (K)Ubuntu has some issues with i965 mainboards as well. He has to use Feisty, which currently is in rather good shape, but still a beta...

PCLinuxOS is very Mandriva-like (the control center is almost identical), KDE-centric, quite up-to-date (although certainly not bleeding edge) and quite easy to install.

Currently the new version is at Test release 2 status, which is working fairly well, but you might like to wait a few days for the final release.

Is your SATA HDD a Sata II or is it a straight sata ???.

If it is SATA II then it is most likely incompatible with your main board. Only the most recent mainboards are compatible.

To overcome this you need to set the link on the back of the HDD to the appropriate position. You can find this out from the WD website.

By the way. Seems to be an ever increasing recommending of newbies to other OSs rather than greater effort to help solve the Mandriva problems. If this keeps up then maybe we will need to rename the site.........Any Linux OS. :unsure: :unsure:

Cheers. John.

Unfortunately, sometimes hardware is too new for Mandriva to support - for example the Intel 965 chipset that the guy has here.

You'd not be able to get past the installation procedure. If you had an already running system, at least you could boot up from a CD in rescue mode, chroot it and then get a new kernel compiled or even get a later kernel from the urpmi repositories of which you can't select or install during the install process from the Mandy CD.

Mandriva 2007.0 is what this refers to. Soon Mandriva 2007.1 will be out, and I hope it will be running at least a 2.6.18 kernel to address a lot of the hardware problems being encountered.

My machine being one of them.....

You know I am by NO means a linux expert,

but I think we may be missing something.

back when i was young and pc's had terminals, a TTY message meant you were having output issues.

either your RS232 based paper printer/key punch wasnt working.

OR

you were having display issues.

my suggestion would be to take out the tv card, perform the install and then re-insert it after your syetm is stable.

i know on my XP pc, everytime i have to reload the OS (far more often than i should) I have to pull out my SBLIVE card, or the install fails. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

so hey try it, i have used MANY different distros, and i keep coming back to mandriva.